Sunday, June 3, 2007

A lovely time

The Greatest Generation

- This weekend was my second cousin David's wedding to lovely Jenny and the best part about it was being with my family.

- I retrieved Abby from the airport Friday and we met her friend Becca at a restaurant in midtown. Becca is an childhood friend of Abby's and calls me Aunt Lynn. I told her a funny memory of her: When they were in high school, I went to one of the football games in their tiny community so I could see Abby cheerlead and hear her sing the National Anthem. Jo and I took Abby and Becca to a drop-off point on a rural road leading up to the football field. I watched, puzzled, as the girls climbed into the back of pick-up trucks. Becca explained to me tongue-in-cheek, "It's a hillybilly parade." And they rode onto the field on the trucks, bursting through a banner. Becca still has a quirky sense of humor. It was fun sitting with them at dinner - all adults now.

- Back to the wedding - lovely wedding, big-money reception at a country club on the water. Great band, wine flowing, fabulous food and everyone in their wedding finery. But loving the most, the outdoor breakfast this morning with the children romping and the adults table hopping. Family paparazzi busily making certain no moment went uncaptured.

- Jo and Amanda followed Abby and me back to Atlanta and we went to Virginia Highlands Summerfest - lots of browsing in shops and booths. We had lunch at the Vortex, a sort of off beat place with a biker and pale-tattooed people following, and had a cholesterol clogging burger that was totally worth it. It was bittersweet dropping Abby off at the airport. I told her to come back anytime - she was a most excellent house guest and travel companion.

No comments: