Monday, December 16, 2013

A treasure, there's no place like home and tradition

- It was a cold and rainy day on Saturday, so most of the day was spent decorating the Christmas tree.  I had to move it over this year so the fern could have its spot in front of the back door (the fern is in for a few days because of freezing temps at night).  The cardboard Santa under the tree was a gift from my kindergarten teacher when I was 5 years old.  A treasure!

- A new treasure - a Dorothy's Red Shoe ornament, purchased in September at the gift shop in the Smithsonian Museum of American History in Washington, DC.  An American treasure, the red shoes Judy Garland wore in the film, The Wizard of Oz, are showcased in an exhibit there. 

- The tiny tree in the pass-through from the kitchen to the dining room.  For years it was the only tree I put up, until I realized how much I loved all my packed away ornaments.  Hence the bigger tree in the living room.  I'm a two-tree gal now.  :)  The Santa on the left belonged to my Great Aunt Grace and was always under her tree.

Other highlights from the weekend:  ringing the bell for the Salvation Army at the mall on Saturday night with the annual tradition of Mexican food after.  And discovering friend Leisa at Home Goods doing a bit of Christmas shopping on Sunday.  It was fun having an impromptu shopping partner for an hour or so. 

14 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend. I love your decorations.

Chatty Crone said...

I love your tree - it is just perfect!
I love the red shoes.
sandie

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - so great you've got those momentos .. bet there aren't many kids who've kept their teacher's Santa and still uses it ..

Wonderful photos and a fun time by the sound of it .. cheers Hilary

TALON said...

Your trees are beautiful, Lynn. I love getting out the ornaments...memories attached to each and every one of them. :)

Elephant's Child said...

You are right. I need to get out those ornaments next year.
Beautiful trees, with memories to cherish. Thank you.

Riot Kitty said...

Can I hire you to come decorate for me? :) I love how you still have that Santa from your teacher.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

So many treasures. It is so very meaningful to have all these special things for your Christmas decorations. LOVE the gift from your teacher....
Sounds like you had a fine time this past weekend.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Wow, two trees n two special Santas. Your home is so festive! I've had little time for decking my halls, but have two little deck trees lit up outside the window.
The Dorothy ruby slipper ornament is so unique! It's sure to become an heirloom.
My ornaments usually get hung up all around the apartment, Mostly little instruments, guitars, violins, mandolins, n many bells n jingle-bells. Some to wear too-

Granny Annie said...

Oh my, you special decorations make me want to do it. I want to get out my treasures but I just can't do it. I fall apart just thinking about it. And oh, how special ringing the bell was each year with my Dad. We were members of the Kiwanis Club and stood outside the same grocery every year to ring together and collect for the Salvation Army. Thank you for letting me share your Christmas this year.

Lynn said...

Joe -

It was lovely - and thank you - my favorite part of the Christmas season is the decorations. :)

Sandie -

It's a good size for me. I swear though - I have enough ball ornaments to put up another whole tree. If I had room to store it, I'd get one more. :)

Hilary -

It would be interesting to find out if any of the other kids kept their Santa.

Cheers to you!

Talon -

Memories just flood back as I pull each one out.

Elephant's Child -

I will love seeing your photos when you do get them out.

Lynn said...

Riot Kitty -

Sure! :) I get one new ornament each year - and I like the cacophony of different types of ornaments on my tree. That's all I do - just put things together randomly.

Naomi -

Thank you - I loved doing it. And yes - it is fun to have that old ornament.

Snaggle -

I think that's so fun that you have lots of little things to sit around. I'll bet it makes you happy when you look at it.

Granny Annie -

I'm glad I can share my Christmas decorations with you this year. I think maybe you might not be ready to decorate, but maybe next year. Hugs, my friend.

Jannie Funster said...

I love the glow in all 3 of your pix, you two-tree gal, you! I like the whimsy under your tree, very artistic, and filled with meaning.

Finally got our tree mostly decorated last night. Our Saturday was spent at the gym for Christmas shows from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. was too tired to decorate anything that night. :) But all our holiday preparations are coming together, bit by bit. :)

xoxox

P.S. Give your fern a hug from me, okay?

Fireblossom said...

Oh dear....next year will you have three? ;-)

Lee said...

I love the red shoe ornament, Lynn. A rainy day seems a very suitable day to put up one's Christmas tree! :)