Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Latest book read, visual imagery and memories

My book group just read "My Name is Lucy Barton," by Elizabeth Strout.  We love her books, and always read them after they are published.  This one is set in New York City and it's not really giving anything away to say that the lead character is in the hospital and when the curtains are open, she has a view of the Chrysler building.

- I had a unique perspective on the visual imagery of this book, since my niece's (former) apartment window looked out on the Chrysler building.  It was the first thing my sister showed me on that first visit in 2010 - it was reflected in the glass dining room table.  This is a photo at night, taken from that window.

- And an image from the daytime - same window.  There is lots going on in that book - the lead character has a chance to be with her mother for a week.  The mother sits by her bedside and they talk, often during the quiet middle-of-the-night hours.   I had that same experience the last week my mother was in the hospital, so with these images and that experience in mind, the book had a bit of an impact on me (in a good way.)  Memories.

This apartment building is in the Turtle Bay neighborhood in New York City.  My niece and her family are living in Turkey right now.  I'm so glad I had this brief experience while they were in New York.  I took these photos with me to the book discussion, via my iPad, to share.

15 comments:

Louvregirl said...

Lynn, Sending my condolences on the loss of your mother. Many hugs, lg

Louvregirl said...

Also...

"it was reflected in the glass dining room table." Wish I could have seen this reflection. I am enamored by them...love 'trying' to photograph them, too. Nice view(s)!! Enjoyed them! Thank you for sharing, Lynn.

Karen

Louvregirl said...

Wow! They are living in Turkey! (Did her job take her there I am wondering?)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Dear Lynn - so sorry you have lost your mother - I can understand how you are feeling ... but then the book reminds you of the view through the window from a hospital bed ... Take care and with fond thoughts ... all the best for the 'now' - mother's are so so special ... Hilary

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The Chrysler Building is so spectacular at night when it is lit up. A real New York icon!

Lynn said...

lg -

Thank you - she passed away in 2012. I do miss her and I thank you for the hugs!

The building they lived in is near the United Nations - her husband works for the Turkish government. They met in DC when they were both living and working there. He is on the ambassador track and so they go back and forth to Turkey. My great-niece has dual citizenship, and my niece has permanent resident status in Turkey.

Hilary -

That book just came out of left field - I couldn't believe the coincidences.

Debra -

It is - I loved that neighborhood. The last time I visited them, I got off the shuttle too early, at Grand Central Station, so walked to their building. It was lovely to have the Chrysler building to guide my way.

Elephant's Child said...

The very best books do that don't they? Take us down paths we had (temporarily) forgotten.
Love the images you shared too. And the time you spent with your mama was such a precious gift.

Elephant's Child said...

And thank you for introducing another author. Though something is nagging in my memories...

Leonora said...

A friend just mentioned this book to me last week. I'll add it to my list of books-to-read-when-the-library-gets-it. I'll have to try to be patient for it to become available. : )

Lynn said...

Elephant's Child -

The book is rather melancholy in itself, but I loved it. And yes - a precious gift. She was sleeping so much that one night after watching a program one night that was a bio of the outlaw Billy the Kid - when it was over, I said out loud, "Billy the Kid was a bad dude." Mom replied, "I know!" I had no idea she had been watching or listening. :) We had a good little chat right then.

And make sure you read Strout's book "Olive Kitteridge." It was our favorite.

Lee -

I read it on my Kindle - yes, I've gone to the dark side. I got one of those paper white dealies that fits in my purse - pretty handy for when you have to wait in line, etc.

LL Cool Joe said...

Memories can be painful but joyful too. Our dining room here in the UK is full of photos of the Chrysler Building and other New York landmarks. I loved seeing it in the real too. Just so iconic.

Cloudia said...

Glad you had a chance to connect. Thanks for sharing Dear

Crafty Green Poet said...

what a view to have from a hospital bed. It's often said that views of nature are the best to look at if you're ill, but a view of a building like that would be great too,

I like when books reflect or fit in with personal experience too

Granny Annie said...

It is interesting how city scenes are becoming artistically admirable. It's a good thing since country scenes are disappearing. I will always remember being at my mother's bedside and her last words to me..."Don't worry" and she smiled.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nice that you could make the connection with the book's storyline, both visually and remembering time spent with your own mother.