Friday, September 23, 2016

Hanging low, impala and latest book

- Waiting at the traffic light at 7pm on Tuesday at 14th Street and Techwood Drive in Atlanta, after volunteer work - I spotted the very low hanging cloud ahead, between the buildings.  Click to enlarge to see it better.  At first I thought it was smoke.  It was an otherwise very blue sky day, which I always call a Good Thing.  :)

- I had a flat tire (again) earlier this week, so decided to go with the expensive Michelin tires this time.  When I drove up to the tire shop, this 1966 Chevrolet Impala was sitting out front.  The owner just purchased it to restore and was amused that I was photographing it.  My dad had one in that same color, back in the day.  I liked that the person who sold it to the owner left a rosary hanging on the rear view mirror.  He said (drily), "It's so I can pray that it keeps moving when it's on the road."

- The manager of the tire shop was smiling at the three customers in the waiting area - all of us reading:  the young lady to the left of me, with a book, the man across from me with his laptop computer, and me with my little Kindle.  The manager isn't a fan of Kindles, but I told him I have run out of room for hardback books in my home, so I either read on the Kindle or get books from the library.  (Still love a regular book!)  These days - I really only buy Karin Slaughter's books, since she is a friend.  The latest one, "The Kept Woman," arrived in the mail yesterday and it went on her designated shelf.  I'll get it signed at some point, like all the others.  Can't wait to read it!

Karin was at book signing with the author, Ian Rankin, a few years ago and got him to sign that paperback book of Knots & Crosses for me.  It's a treasure, too.  

Have a great weekend, my friends!

10 comments:

Louvregirl said...

Lynn! When glancing at your post (the flat tire part)and seeing the pic of the car, until I read further, I thought that was a pic of your car! I thought, I never pictured Lynn driving that, but I suppose! ;-)

Sounds like a truly great little book shop that you frequent there...Hope your weekend ROCKS, L. Fall is on its way, here...

Lynn said...

Hi lg -

Nope - Toyota Camry - silvery color. :)

That's not a book shop, it's a bookshelf from home. Karin Slaughter used to run a sign company near my office at BellSouth - I used to order stadium banners from her. We used to talk about books we were reading. So one day she and her boss invited me to lunch, since I was their "biggest customer" just then. And during lunch, it came up that Karin had written a book that she was shopping to publishers. After she got a three book deal, beginning with Blindsighted, she stopped working for the sign company. I love that she's a big deal writer now.

Louvregirl said...

That's utlra cool, Lynn (and especially that you are collecting her signed copies, too.) That is special.

Have a great and good weekend. The weather is cooling off here.

Granny Annie said...

I could not see the low hanging cloud but loved the shot anyway. Yes a good thing. Wish I could afford Michelin's. I really debated but the tire store talked me into Cooper tires for half the price. I too have no room for books and listen to audio books checked out of my library and downloaded to my phone.

Kay G. said...

I stopped reading my crime novels years ago but looking at Karin Slaughter's books, I might have to take them up again! (I read all of the books by Ruth Rendell.)
Oh, and I just read the comment above, where she had worked for a sign company. You find the neatest things from your blog!!

Elephant's Child said...

I will be interested to hear what you think of The Kept Woman. I loved it.
I hear you on the no room front though. I really need to do a serious cull again.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - yes those creamy thick clouds that hang low sometimes - they are great to see. Two flat tyres ... I hope those days have gone by! But I remember them well - still sounds like the Tyre Shop has a good reputation. I still prefer books - but do use the Kindle sometimes ... Karin Slaughter - good for her and an example for others of us ... what fun to know her personally. Lovely story line for a post - cheers Hilary

LL Cool Joe said...

I love the low hanging cloud shot. I couldn't see it at first.

The car will look great once it's restored.

I know it seems to shock a few people, but once I've read a book I just throw it into the recycling bin. I've read, I know I won't read it again, so it seems a good place to put it!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That was an amazing cloud shot and, yes, I had to enlarge it so see it better. Perhaps you will see the Impala one day after its restoration. Good to go with the better tires. I also selected a better brand (Interstate) when buying a car battery last week. I have some books on my bookshelf, but once I read them or even before some will be donated back to the thrift stores from whence they came. And, like you, I enjoy holding a book but my Kindle comes with me when I have to wait for appointments. It always has a couple of books downloaded from the local library.

Lee said...

I hope you keep abreast with the progress made on the Impala restoration. Lovely, sturdy old car.