Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Celebration, highland games and people watching

This past weekend, as usual, I co-hosted my Clan's tent at the Stone Mountain Highland Games, at which we celebrate our Scottish heritage.  When I texted my sisters this photo to let them know where I would be all weekend, one sister cheekily asked if was wearing a "beret," too  No - just a tartan scarf pinned over my shoulder.  :)

Taking a stroll down "Clan Row," I spotted this tent with a life-sized cut out of a cowboy and his horse.  Of course I had to ask.  The gentleman there on the right told me that is Bill Boyd, aka Hopalong Cassidy, of vintage cowboy movie fame. 

I always like to watch the dancing - these young ladies were in the Highland Dance competition.

But I love being in our tent the most - it's a great spot in which to people watch.  And there are music performances all weekend in the tent to the left of ours.  Plus bagpipe music in the distance - it's all lovely.  And when they delivered the bottle of scotch to our tent (a thank you for being a sponsor), I told the committee who brought it that I'll bet that's the most fun job there is at the games.  I like how it matched the mums.  (One of the beret guys took it home.)  :)

14 comments:

Louvregirl said...

"...bagpipe music in the distance"

That sounds excellent!

lg :-)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I do love a man in a kilt, if he has a nice ass to swing those pleats when he walks. Oh, did I just say that out loud?

Lisa said...

Oh, I missed that. I have always wanted to go to that and never hear about it until after it's over. Sounds like you had a good time.

Elephant's Child said...

The bagpipes would have to be in the distance. For some reason they always make me weep. Glad you had such a great weekend.

Granny Annie said...

I am shocked that you did not know Hopalong Cassidy. Guess I really am old. LOL

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - I remember your other postings (vaguely!) .. but it's obvious a great camaraderie gathering ... what a fun day ... cheers Hilary

Lady Fi said...

Love the kilts!

Snaggle Tooth said...

So much fun, hope i get to one sometime

Lee said...

Ahhhh....I love the bag pipes. I don't mind a Dewars, either...although I've not had one for a while! :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

I'd probably feel quite at home there....

LL Cool Joe said...

I thought your sisters were going to ask a much cheekier question about what was under the guys kilt. Sorry just my mind.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Next year, we may attend the Scottish festival held here in NH as my husband's ancestry is Scotch-Irish. And, I agree that watching all the festivities is very entertaining. I did know that William Boyd was TV cowboy, Hopalong Cassidy

DeniseinVA said...

I had to smile at this post, especially as you took a photo of Hopalong Cassidy. I watched his movies at the Saturday morning matinees at the local movie theater when I was a child in England.

Snaggle Tooth said...

I have a niece in FL who loves to do Highland dancing- such energetic high-stepping! Now I wouldn't even try it- gravity takes you down...