Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Good Things Happened: signs of autumn (finally)

My somewhat grainy photo of the Beaver Moon from the past weekend.  The Farmers' Almanac says the November full moon got its name from the native American Algonquin tribes, as this was the month to set traps for beavers "before the swamps froze, to ensure a supply of warm winter furs."  It was beautiful very early on Saturday morning, when I couldn't sleep, and wandered outside to see it.

And later that morning, beautiful fall color at the condos.  Finally.

This is the dipladenia that I bought at the mountain nursery and blogged about here.  I didn't realize how much it has grown, until I looked at the photo of it on that post (the third photo, taken at the mountain house, before I brought it home to the condos.)  When I visited the mountain nursery last month and inquired if I would be able to keep it through the winter, the lady there said they don't winter well and she wouldn't try it.  So I thought I would pay tribute to it, as its leaves turn along with the leaves on the trees around it.

16 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - the dipladenia has certainly grown ... delightful, though looks like a new home is due sometime soon?! Gorgeous situation are the condos ... cheers Hilary

Lady Fi said...

Lovely autumn colours!

Granny Annie said...

It is so wonderful to bask in the Fall colors.

Elephant's Child said...

I do love autumnal fireworks and I am glad that yours are finally there.

Chatty Crone said...

You are right about the moon - and about the Indians trapping beavers during this time. I have heard that before. It was a beautiful photo Lynn.

Kay G. said...

The moon was gorgeous, wasn't it?
And you MUST get yourself to Tallulah Gorge, you will be amazed!
I hope you are finally enjoying the colors of the leaves, I bet our Autumn might last 1 - 2 weeks at most! :-)

Leonora said...

The "grainy" photo of the moon is so pretty- it looks like an old postcard.
I saw a dipledenia for the first time at our neighbor's house last week when it caught my eye hanging on their porch. It was still in full health and bloom. Our neighbor is a landscape architect and he always has the most beautiful plants.

Louvregirl said...

The moon makes everything look romantic! ;-)

Snaggle Tooth said...

Beautiful Fall scenes you captured! Like your tribute!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I liked that moon shot, Lynn, and also seeing the fall colors (finally) in your area. Many of our leaves have been blown off the trees by some strong winds, but still some are hanging on a bit longer.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Lynn, your moon shot is pretty. I love the fall colors and trees. Nice tribute! Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

sage said...

Great photos!

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely autumn colours

LL Cool Joe said...

I love the first grainy shot, very arty. I think we skipped autumn here in the UK and went straight into winter!

Snaggle Tooth said...

Very nice! Better than ours this year-

Lowcarb team member said...

Some lovely photo's.
Autumn is such a great season.
Your dipladenia looks great.

All the best Jan