Monday, September 21, 2009

Thistle, umbrella to umbrella and delightful

- On a rainy rainy Saturday, attending a meeting in a church that celebrates its Scottish heritage with a lovely stained glass window depicting a Thistle.

- Lunch was served in a building across a courtyard that was not covered, so a line of smiling volunteers stood umbrella to umbrella so attendees could walk through without getting wet.

- And later attending a concert with three nice people, Lori, Jennifer and Rob, at a wonderful live music venue, Eddie's Attic, that on this night featured a musician previously unknown to me, Paul Burch, with his "richly textured melodies and world weary vocals." Delightful. And best of all, seeing Lori's reaction when he performed "Isolda."

14 comments:

TALON said...

Lynn, what a gorgeous window. I love the image of the shoulder-to-shoulder umbrellas!

Music is such a gift.

LL Cool Joe said...

I attend a Baptist church, and it's so plain. I know it shouldn't matter, but somehow the beauty of the cross and the stained glass windows and the pulpit make everything more Godly to me.

Lynn said...

Talon -

Isn't that beautiful stained glass? The photo showed up brighter on my home computer - the browser is Internet Explorer there. We use Mozilla Firefox here at work and it looks much darker. So hope the thistle is visible.

That was a fun brisk walk under umbrellas saying thank you over and over. :)

Joe -

Presbyterian churches generally are loaded up with stained glass. But it's all good.

Maude Lynn said...

That window is stunning!

G-Man said...

Ya Gah uh like the Ska ish heritage Lassie...

Lynn said...

Mama Zen -

Isn't it? I gave up trying to get a shot without someone's head in it. :)

G-man -

I dew Lad!

Jannie Funster said...

I am reminded about the biblical reference to thistle but I forget the significance. I remember the significance of it from this summer in Canada, tho. Ouch on the bare feet!

So sweet about the umbrella holders, nice!

And I envy all your evening social hopping.

Lynn said...

Jannie -

I do see a reference to scourging with thistles - that's so Old Testament. :)

That guy was quite the guitar player.

Riot Kitty said...

That is a beautiful window indeed.

Lynn said...

Thanks Riot Kitty!

LT said...

Lynn, we're so glad you were with us. Don't tell anybody but I teared up a little with that song. Always does it for me.

Lynn said...

Hey Lori!

I won't tell anyone. :) Just saw your email - I am going to order Blue Notes. It was fun to hear someone new (to me) and most of all to be with such relaxing friends.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Must've been in a minor key- hmm, looks like tunes I'd enjoy as well.

Those umbrella people- What a great idea!

Lynn said...

Snaggle -

I think you would enjoy Paul Burch. Lori suggests that I get his CD "Blue Notes." Love to find a new musician.