Thursday, April 26, 2012

W is for Wisteria and other thoughts

- Stopping by The German Bakery near my house only to find it closed, but finding it surrounded by wisteria. Beautiful. When I was a little girl, I used to think wisteria vines were bunches of grapes.

- The image instantly recalls a fable from Aesop, "The Fox and the Grapes": "ONE hot summer’s day a Fox was strolling through an orchard till he came to a bunch of Grapes just ripening on a vine which had been trained over a lofty branch. 'Just the things to quench my thirst,' quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: "I am sure they are sour."

"IT IS EASY TO DESPISE WHAT YOU CANNOT GET."


- Aesop's Fables are wonderful for their lessons, I think. Wikipedia recounts this modern variant on the tale with the following joke from the comedian Mitch Hedberg: "Sometimes in the middle of the night, I think of something that's funny, then I go get a pen and I write it down. Or if the pen's too far away, I have to convince myself that what I thought of ain't funny."

So my Aesop lesson on this day:  The German Bakery is too expensive anyway.  :)  There.

Day 23 of the Blogging from A to Z challenge, featuring the letter "W". 

16 comments:

Snaggle Tooth said...

My neighboe is growing some on her double decks out front- of course it's not blooming here yet for awhile. Her house was the one re-built in my House Fire Photo Essay 2007.
Both Wisteria n Grapes are pretty!
A that stained glass fox- He shoulfd go buy a bottle of whine instead!
... But you'll get back to that German Bakery again soon to get a piece of the Decadent German Chocolate cake! I would- Not on your diet this week tho!

Anonymous said...

Wisteria's are my favourite, i think. So happy i stumbled upon your blog! you now have another follower :-)

f-a-i-r-y-l-i-g-h-t-s.blogspot.com

Elephant's Child said...

Love both the wisteria and your aesop's lesson. Thank you.

Louvregirl said...

Ummmm. A German bakery sounds delicious! I'm thinking "chocolate!!!"
"IT IS EASY TO DESPISE WHAT YOU CANNOT GET."
This saying is true.
lg

Granny Annie said...

"W" is also for Wise, which is what you are:)

Unknown said...

Wisteria is beautiful . . . in other people's yards.

And the poor fox had to rationalize it some way or he would have pined for those grapes and sulked the rest of the day. Then Aesop would have had to moralize about the evils of wasting time wanting and wishing for what is beyond our reach.

Lucy

Lynn said...

Snaggle -

You are right - I have been resisting sweets lately. Even the Krispy Kreme donuts my coworker brought in on Tuesday. So proud of myself. :)

Catherine -

Thanks for coming by - I'll check your blog out, too.

The Elephant's Child -

Thank you!

lg -

I love Aesop's Fables for their lessons - this is a great one, I think. :)

Granny Annie -

Oh my - I hope I am. Thank you!

Lucy -

Yeah - it does tend to take over, doesn't it? I like to look at it though.

happygirl said...

Wisteria is so pretty and I completely agree with Lucy. I love looking at it on my drive into work. I love an Aesop fable. So much wisdom in such sweet little stories.

Riot Kitty said...

For me, it's easier to despise people who piss me off ;) Nice pics!

Unknown said...

Lovely blog. Wisteria...Isn't that the name of the lane on Desperate housewives? Stopping by from the A-z challenge, nice to meet you!

Laura S. said...

Hello, Lynn! I love Aesop's fables! Especially when we devise our own lessons from the stories. :)

Have a lovely week and happy A to Z!!

Sparkling Red said...

Pretty, pretty wisteria! What a delicious shade of purple.

That Aesop sure knew how to pack a lot of wisdom into a few words.

Chatty Crone said...

And maybe had to many calories - lol. Love the wisteria. sandie

Lynn said...

happygirl -

We have wisteria in my condo complex, too. It's beautiful, I think.

Riot Kitty -

Spoken like a riotous woman! :)

Siv Maria -

I don't watch that show, but somehow that sounds familiar - Wisteria Lane.

Thanks for coming by!

Laura -

Absolutely - me, too.

Sparkling Red -

I'll say!

Chatty Crone -

But - oh those thumbprint cookies!

Jannie Funster said...

Well, my goodness. I never knew that's where sour grapes comes from.

Ahhh, the wisteria will be blooming on the trail now. I don't get down there much anymore now that Kelly's school is so far away.

German Bakery, sounds good. A treat for when you're feeling rich I guess.

xoxo

Lynn said...

Jannie -

Ah - Kelly must be in middle school now?

xo