Friday, July 11, 2014

Freedom, farmers market, greeter and peace

- My favorite farmer is Mr. Martin, who grows vegetables by the Hiwassee River in North Carolina - across the river from my sister's vacation home.  On this day, I snapped his photo through the screen of the back porch as he drove that tractor all over his property.  (Click to enlarge.)  He is well into his 90s, has cancer (diagnosed more than a year ago), and lately has been living in assisted living.  When I was there in May, I saw him on the property, but someone was always with him.  This time, I watched as he drove his tractor alone - no one else in sight - even over the part of the property that is not farmed. Freedom.

- Downtown Hayesville, North Carolina, last Saturday morning.  They always have a farmers market on Saturday mornings there.  Vegetables, preserves, baked goods, some crafts.  People are so friendly there.  One man proudly gave credit to his wife for the bonsai trees he was selling, "She's off talking somewhere if you want to ask her about anything."  

- This dog walked up to me for head rubs.  A nearby man said, "That's Rowdy.  He lives a couple of blocks down the way there (waving his hand) and comes up every Saturday morning to hang out with us."

 - Here's Rowdy again, this time greeting at the pie lady's table.  She was selling her homemade buttermilk pie, a proud secret recipe.  (Although I have it if anyone wants it - my grandmother used to make it.)  She asked me what time it was, and said "never mind" when I pulled out my cellphone to look.  I explained that I don't wear a watch anymore - I just look at my phone for the time.  She said, "I gave up watches and cellphones when I retired here and have never missed them."  I could see that and totally agree.  She just wanted to know the time so she could go home after selling those last two pies.

- I asked if I could snap a photo of the flowers in the wine bottle (a great idea, I think.)  She said (smiling), "You can have them if you buy a pie."  I replied that although I probably have it in me to eat a whole pie, it doesn't seem advisable.  :)  I left with no pie, but a little later noticed the women in the photo just above this one, walking away with pie and flowers.

Thank you for sharing my walk through the farmers market.  Mr. Martin used to sell potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, etc. there - I have a photo of my sister buying potatoes from him to take home (probably 10 years ago.)  I'm betting he'll be back, judging by the crops I saw coming up across the river.  Have a great weekend, y'all!

12 comments:

Joanne said...

I love your farmer's market photos and tales!

Granny Annie said...

That is so funny because I was just asking a group of friend the other day if any of them could make a good buttermilk pie. I love it so much and can make a fair one but nothing like my grandma's. Several announced that they made the "BEST". Oh dear.

I am now anxiously awaiting my neighbor's garden to come forth with cantaloupe and watermelon.

Maude Lynn said...

Good for Mr. Martin!

Elephant's Child said...

How WONDERFUL for Mr Martin. I hope he can relish that freedom for a long time to come.
Gorgeous post - but I am a bit leaky around the eyes after reading it. Thank you.

Lee said...

I can't recall when I last wore a watch...it'd be well over 20 years - well over; probably closer to 30.

That looks like such a beautiful area. I could live there quite easily. Where I live here has the country-village atmosphere about it, too. There are a lot of local producers because most properties are on acreage, as is this one where I live. I rent a cabin on a three acre property. My landlords' live up one end in their home and I'm down the other end...with many trees and gardens in between both dwellings we can't see each other, which suits me just fine...and them, too, no doubt. :)

G. B. Miller said...

What a true farmer's market should look like. Heaven.

Father Nature's Corner

Chatty Crone said...

I would love to visit that farmer's market - love the flowers in the wine glass.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I love that wonderful old farmer--Cancer and all---still working his farm, so to speak.....That looks like a wonderful Homey Farmers Market....Nothing like small town traditions and the people who live there.
A darling doggie, too.....
I hope you have a WONDERFUL weekend, too!

Jannie Funster said...

Never heard of buttermilk pie but it sounds divine.

Love how Rowdy is a market fixture. Does anybody sell fresh meat there?

oxoxox

Sparkling Red said...

Pastoral bliss! It's never the same in a big city, even if we do have farmers' markets here and there. Certainly no dogs would be allowed to roam unsupervised, which is too bad, because some dogs are perfectly capable of behaving themselves, as Rowdy so ably demonstrates.

Riot Kitty said...

What a sweet snapshot. And good for Mr. Martin.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Must be a great feeling riding his tractor again- hope it's not his last ride.
A wandering dog here soon finds the pound, unfortunately. The laws are so leash strict now-
Being the pie lady must be fun. I'd love to not need clocks!
I would've got the pie, n gained some pounds too- funny you shot the "winner" there.