Tuesday, March 31, 2015

More cherry trees, a book to savor and a southern treat

- There seemed to be endless errands on Saturday, but I stopped long enough to admire more cherry trees in bloom.  It was a beautiful day - just look at that sky!

- One of the errands was to pick up this book, The Land of Green Ginger by Noel Langley, at the library.  I'm looking forward to reading it upon the recommendation of our friend Elephant's Child.  She blogged about it here.  Any book with character names, such as she describes, must be a delight.  Thanks EC! 

Photo from Google Images

- The 79th Masters Golf Tournament will be held beginning April 9 at Augusta (Georgia) National Golf Club.  I always hear Masters buzz around (one coworker listens to coverage via his computer while he's working.)  Me - I'm not that excited about golf, but WAS excited when I spotted the recipe for the Augusta National Concessions Pimento Cheese Sandwich!  (Apparently available for the low price of $1.50 if one attends that event.)  I've heard about this sandwich forever.  Here's the recipe - I'd like to try it and will make it soon for a potluck or when I have company:

How to Make a Masters-Style Pimento Cheese Sandwich
You'll need:
3 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded yellow sharp cheddar cheese
4 oz crumbled blue cheese
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 (4-oz) jar sliced pimentos, drained
1 cup light mayo
2 tbs Dijon mustard
Slices of loaf of white bread
Combine cheeses, pimentos, mayo and mustard in a food processor and process until smooth. Cover and chill. Spread on bread slices. Makes four sandwiches.  (Lynn's note - really?  That seems like a lot of cheese for just four sandwiches!  I'll report back.)

Pimento Cheese sandwiches were always a big deal in our house when I was growing up.  My mother used to shake her head when we visited as adults and always asked for her version which was much simpler - sharp cheddar cheese, Duke's mayo, pimentos and a little salt.  I have never quite duplicated hers.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love those blossoms!

Elephant's Child said...

Those blossoms are gorgeous. Perfectly framed by the sky.
Even my cheese loving self suspects that there might be a bit of overkill in that sammich.
And I really, really hope you get some fun from the book. Let me know please.

Fireblossom said...

*sigh* It snowed here today. That sound you hear is me being jealous.

TALON said...

What's this?? Blossoms!!! I'm sooo jealous! We had snow showers yesterday. Mind you, I live in hope. :)

Sara said...

Wow...with the first picture. It's a stunner.

The Pimento Cheese sandwich looked yummy and I don't even Pimento Cheese. My stomach rumbled looking at it:~)

Snaggle Tooth said...

Wow from me too! So pretty- Looks like a very rich n filling sandwich- Good luck. I do wonder what your Mother's secret was...

Ileana said...

The pimento cheese looked like chorizo and eggs to me, which is a great combo, by the way. Your recipe sounds tasty. I'm sure my kids will love it since they both like veggies and color.

The book sounds interesting. I am in the middle of "The Girl on the Train," a page turner for sure. If you like suspense and interesting characters, you'll find these people fascinating.

Love your pictures! Have a great day, amiga!

sage said...

The trees are beautiful (our azaleas are now in full bloom) but Pimento Cheese is one of those southern treats I never liked, but it was always the store-brought pimento cheese

Riot Kitty said...

(Sniffle) I loooooooove cheese and can't have any. I've resigned myself to the fact that it's not worth it if I'm going to ache for days. (Why can't I have that reaction to, say, asparagus, which I wouldn't miss?)

I love cherry blossoms - we have quite a few of them here, as it's an early spring.

Betty Manousos said...

wow, cherry blossoms! love them.

and that sandwich looks so tempting! thanks for the great recipe. can't wait to try it out.

wishing you and yours a blessed and happy easter! big hugs~ xoxo

Jannie Funster said...

I love how some of our mom's recipes and dishes from childhood stay with us. Macaroni casserole with ground beef is one of hers I still crave sometimes. No pimento sandwiches in my childhood, tho.

I will have to look for that book at our library, sounds wonderful!!

xoxooxoxox

Lee said...

I'm pigging out on hot Hot Cross buns here today...it's Easter Sunday as I write...and vanilla slices! :)

Sparkling Red said...

I have never heard of a pimento cheese sandwich, and I must admit that it does not seem at all appealing to me. :-p

Snaggle Tooth said...

Yep, read this awhile ago n thought I commented- But the wind knocked out the connection That night, n guess it didn't stick-
Pretty blossoms! Yummy recipe. I'm so slow eating cheese here, got a cake of cheddar half gone in there. I like to wrap slices in crescent roll dough, n also had a ham n cheese omelet for Easter.

Granny Annie said...

One of the things I miss the most and have never been able to duplicate is my mom's pimento cheese. I watched her make it a zillion times but never can duplicate it. The recipe was not written down. It was not low calorie because I know she used mayonnaise and sugar.