Friday, February 17, 2017

Drama queen, happy tune and so thoughtful

Having a belated birthday dinner with some friends yielded some very nice gifts, an "Espresso" orchid (hope it lives!) and a bottle of Middle Sister wine.  I'm a middle sister, as is friend Janice, so it's OK to be called a "drama queen."  :)  I think. 

 The plants are hanging in there - the temps have been mostly above 32 degrees, so I'm thrilled they are surviving the winter and will be able to grace the front porch in the spring.  I loved the cardinal who visited the feeder and whistled a happy tune.

A friend who has been very ill left this belated birthday gift of kitchen candle and birthday cake chocolate bar at my front door on Valentine's Day.  So thoughtful!  It had been a long day of work, and then volunteer work.  I was very weary and this perked me right up.

And - I finally got to this book, but actually listened to the audio version in the car during the last few days, finishing yesterday.  It was worth it to hear Reese Witherspoon's lovely voice reading it, but I still wish this book had stayed dormant.  I need to go back and read To Kill a Mockingbird again in order to shake this one off.  So I guess the good thing about it is - I finally got to it.  :)

Hope you have a great weekend, my friends!

18 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That is PRECISELY the reason I'm not going to read "Go Set a Watchman."

LL Cool Joe said...

You received lots of lovely gifts. I don't understand why a middle sister is a drama queen? :D

Love the shot with the cardinal on your feeder.

Lynn said...

I know, Debra - I didn't even intend to buy the book. I had pre-committed to buy it, before I read the reviews, so it went in with another order. I decided to listen to it when I spotted the audio book at the library.

Kay G. said...

I had a good friend who told me NOT to read "Go Set A Watchman" since he knows my taste and how much I love "To Kill A Mockingbird". Just goes to show how important it is to have a good editor. (The second book was written at the same time as the first one, the editor just wanted to focus on the "Scout" character.)

I am a middle sister too!

Adam said...

I think that probably set a record for longest waited sequel by an original author

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - love thoughtful gift left for you - I hope your friend's health continues to improve. Brilliant vino "Middle Sister" ... fun and those others .. candles and chocolate and an orchid - I'm hopeless with them too ... I've finally mastered African Violets thank goodness. I read some reviews early on with large "Warning" notes coming through ... so left the book - but good for you to get to listen/read it ... and now to read "To Kill a Mockingbird" once again ... have a happy weekend and congratulations on your birthday - cheers Hilary

Granny Annie said...

Do you suggest that any of us read the book? I have been putting it off myself but I am still curious.

You have such loyal friends...because you are a loyal friend.

Leonora said...

I say we middle sisters are the most well-balanced people : ) That's a thoughtful little gift stash you received there!
I felt exactly the same as you about "Go Set a Watchman". I wished I hadn't read it.

G. B. Miller said...

Got some good things there. Never read "To Kill A Mockingbird" although I did see some of the movie. Did read a very good bio of Harper Lee some years ago though.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Belated Happy Birthday wishes to you, Lynn, from a fellow Feb celebrant. Thanks for sharing your birthday gifts too...wine and chocolate go well together. Go Set a Watchman was not on my "to read" list.

Louvregirl said...

Love getting a 'glimpse' of your life through this blog, Lynn! Happy, blessed, belated birthday to you, Lynn! "And m-a-n-y more!!!"

P.S. Don't 'see' you as being anywhere near being a drama queen???

Louvregirl said...

I haven't read the book. Judging from this comment
"I still wish this book had stayed dormant. " ...was it upsetting?

Snaggle Tooth said...

Belated gifts are awesome. I got a late valentine today from grand kids. I am a middle sister also. Pretty orchids! My plants are all dormant now, some still under plastic outdoors. Don't think I read that one either. Have a good week!

Lady Fi said...

What wonderful gifts - I like that bottle of wine.

Lynn said...

Granny Annie asked if I recommend Harper Lee's sequel: that's a tough one, I guess so, if you're curious.

lg - the book was upsetting to me in the sense that it has changed a beloved character in my eyes forever - a little disillusioning.

Lee said...

I bought the book not long after it was released....and I've still not read it. I just can't seem to bring myself to do so.

I just love your photos. A Happy Belated Birthday to you...but then good wishes are never belated! :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

Beautiful orchid! Happy belated birthday!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I am sorry I missed your birthday. Happy belated birthday to you! The candle sounds wonderful. I am the youngest and can be a drama queen sometimes. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!