Thursday, October 12, 2017

Good Things Happened: Annual sister time

My two sisters and I traveled from three different states (Virginia, Georgia, and Florida) to be together for a few days, by the banks of the Hiwassee River in the Nantahala National Forest, in western North Carolina.  The gentle flow of this river never fails to bring me peace.

On the second day, we took the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway, which boards in Blue Ridge, Georgia, to sister towns McCaysville, Georgia and Copperhill, Tennessee.  There is a painted line that goes through the middle of the two towns that shows that you can stand in Georgia on one side and Tennessee on the other.

We rode inside the open air gondola on the way there and back.  The part I loved the most?  Gardeners, fishermen, construction workers, people in their cars, waving to us as we passed.

The weather is still so warm in the southeast that there isn't much fall color in the foliage yet, but I still loved looking for it.  Can you see the V in the water?  That is a fish weir that was constructed by Native Americans, long ago, to catch fish.  The fish swimming downstream would collect in the V and they would swim out and catch them.

On the final day, we visited The John C. Campbell Folk School Fall Festival.  I loved this family band - especially the earnest young man playing bluegrass music on the fiddle.

There were 41 pottery vendors, but I singled out a vendor that I particularly liked and bought a couple of things.  I've put myself on pottery restriction again.

 I was standing next to a jewelry designer's booth inside the festival barn, listening to this "jamming" band and told her she had the best spot in the house!  Music and dancing all day.  She agreed.  I wish I could have bottled this peace and shared it with the world.

17 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

EVERYONE loves to wave at a train! Sounds like a fun time!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, sounds like a great sister's time. The train ride and the fall festival look like fun!

The pottery is pretty, I am sure you picked some lovely pieces. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

Elephant's Child said...

Even without a sound track, your sister time looks and sounds delightful. Heart healing magic.

Snaggle Tooth said...

I miss the festivals of bluegrass. good you got to see your sis

Chatty Crone said...

What an awesome time - I need something like that - how did you find out about it?? We took that train for Breakfast With Santa but that one looked nice too.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - sounds like an absolutely delightful time - wonderful and I love the photos and your telling us what you did ... cheers Hilary

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

what a nice sister getaway and get together, Lynn. Even though I wish we would have some cooler weather and fall colors, glad you had such great weather for your trip. We have taken many scenic train rides when traveling and this one would be on our list too.

Crafty Green Poet said...

looks like you had a lovely time!

Louvregirl said...

"I've put myself on pottery restriction" Ha! I will take that to heart [about (vintage) Barbie's!] :)

The only question is...how long...will it last??? I saw some TERRIFIC pottery in Cedarburg, WI this past weekend, Lynn!! ;-D

I especially loved the shot and the thought of the train on the Blue Ridge...thanks. :)

Karen :)

Louvregirl said...

"I wish I could have bottled this peace and shared it with the world."

...You kinda did. :)

Scarlet Ily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ileana said...

Love your fall pics and your outings are always captured so beautifully with your camera. Have a great week!

Lowcarb team member said...

Sounds a wonderful time.
Lovely selection of photographs here ...

All the best Jan

Riot Kitty said...

Envious of everything except the folk music ;)

Lynn said...

Riot Kitty - LOL!

Granny Annie said...

It gives me chills to think about what a wonderful time this had to be. Unlike Riot Kitty, I would have also loved the folk music.

LL Cool Joe said...

Actually I agree with Riot Kitty! Ha, I do have a tough time with folk music too, but the rest of your trip sounds wonderful.