Thursday, October 19, 2017

Good Things Happened: black and white photo challenge

A few weeks ago, one of my friends sent me a photo challenge on facebook:  "7 days. 7 black and white photos of your life.  No people.  No explanation."  So I did it and posting them here, too.  I liked the way black and white changes the mood of a photo.  A couple of them were just throw away photos that looked as if they told a story, when changed to black and white.  I followed the rules for the facebook challenge by not giving any explanation, but I'll give one here.

I was waiting for my typical-for-a-Friday-night take-out Chinese food at my favorite little neighborhood restaurant when I read the facebook challenge on my phone.  Photos of my life, I thought.  No time like the present, and lifted my phone for this shot.  The challenge did specify no people, but I decided that meant no friends or family members.  I love the way these three at the restaurant always hustle around getting orders ready.

The next morning, this old friend who can't walk easily anymore, was being pulled on this wagon-like device by his owners.  The look in his eyes as he gazes at his "mom" just exudes love.

 The Saturday before that, in Black Mountain, North Carolina. This is one of those "throw away" shots that worked out well in black and white.

 I posted this one in color in August.  I only noticed that leaf, there in the middle, in the black and white version though.

 And I posted this one from the September retreat weekend in color.  It got the most accolades on facebook.  Love those shadows on these old pews.

 On the sixth day, I was getting ready to head up to the mountains with my sisters, and was outside watering the plants, when I noticed this little tree frog.  It hopped out of the plant I was watering and took refuge on this rail.

And on the seventh day - this lovely view of the Hiwassee River.  I never get tired of this scene and loved the misty look of the black and white photo on that morning.

16 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Lynn, these are all lovely photographs.
I love how black and white photo's really show the different shades of light and dark.

All the best Jan

LL Cool Joe said...

Did you use a camera or your phone for the photos? And did you change them to black or white or take them in black and white? I often find when I change colour photos to black and white they lose the contrast but yours haven't. I love them all but I think my favourite is the first one, I don't know why but it really seems to capture a moment in time.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The first one of the Chinese restaurant is very striking, but my fave is the one of the old, scarred pews. I'm not surprised that one got the most accolades on FB -- it is a really wonderful photo. I kind of miss black-and-white photos -- they often seem to have more artistry or "personality" than colour ones, I don't know why. Maybe it's the heightened contrast of light and shadow that you can get with B&W.

Elephant's Child said...

I love them all.
There is something about black and white photography which brings out the story teller in us all. I wonder why? Looking for colour?

eileeninmd said...

Hello Lynn, these are all gorgeous B&W images. One of my favorite is the dog. I also love the river scene. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day and weekend ahead.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Wow, what a different feel these things have without color! Great choices! Makes things lookancient also.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

There's nothing like B&W which is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing these here, Lynne.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - these are all great ... and I can see why the pews won the day - so peaceful in there. They do change the tone of your surroundings ... but great photography - fun blog-fb hop ... cheers Hilary

Lynn said...

Thanks, everyone! I enjoyed that challenge. Joe - I used my iPhone camera for all of them and changed them to black and white in the edits. In some cases I used the filter setting.

Granny Annie said...

Isn't it wonderful how things look in black and white. You did a great job with the challenge.

Louvregirl said...

The church pew photo in B & W looks awesome, Lynn. Well done. I like the Chinese diner one also. :)

Lee said...

Colour is beautiful, but there is some thing mesmerising...something most captivating...and something most alluring about black and white photography. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Like old is gold black and white pictures looks good...

Lady Fi said...

Lovely shots! Love the dog.

Laila said...

Oh my.. They're beautiful. Wow. I loooooove it. When changed to black n white, it really is like having a story, a history

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Black and white certainly does have a way of evoking a different feeling than the same photo shot in color. Enjoyed seeing these renditions, Lynn.