Sunday, May 13, 2018

Good Things Happened: Mothering, legacy and memories

 I went visiting this weekend, to see my beloved family in northern Florida.  And then my sister and I went to visit our aunt, cousin and his wife in Jacksonville on Saturday, where we also got to see a new second cousin - just five months old.  It was lovely to see his first time mom in action - so loving and happy.  This is the view of the St. John's river from my aunt's balcony - I would be out there all the time, I said.

 Neighbor Rhonda brought these peony bushes from her late mother's home in Mount Holly, North Carolina.  This is the first time they have bloomed since then.  A lovely legacy!

And this vase always makes me smile a little.  About 20 years ago, I was helping my late mom get ready for a gathering at her home, and asked if I should pick some irises from her garden for the table.  As it turned out, she didn't have a vase.  This seemed odd to me, but she just didn't.  So I gifted her this one for Mother's Day that year.  She did not seem as excited as I was about it.  And then the next time I visited, I found that she had put some Spanish moss in the bottom of it and filled it with silk flowers.  Sigh.  So it's mine now and I use it all the time - this time with purchased irises.  This might not seem so much like a "Good Things" story, but it is, because I learned from it to choose gifts that I know the recipient really wants and to remember that flowers are often best enjoyed just where they grow.

I hope everyone had a lovely day today, whether you are a mom or not.  You are special to me!

15 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like you had a lovely Mother's Day!

Chatty Crone said...

Mother's are always a good thing aren't they?
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! LOVE, SANDIE♥

Elephant's Child said...

It sounds like you had a beautiful day.
Love your vase, and have been guilty of an 'unwanted' present or two myself.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Glad you enjoyed your visit!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, pretty view of the river. I love the peony,the irises and lovely vase. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

Granny Annie said...

That is a beautiful vase and at least your mom used it. I am happy you have it now. You must be a lot better since you took a trip to Florida.

LL Cool Joe said...

That view is amazing.

Personally I prefer to see flowers in their natural habitat, than cut and arranged in vases.

Lady Fi said...

Lovely visit! And beautiful flowers.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - delightful read ... and oh yes I too would be on that balcony. Stunning flowers - the peonies are my favourites ... but I always brought my Ma fresh flowers for her room when she was in the Nursing Centre and would hide my own vases for my use ... otherwise the home would have swept them up. Lovely and takes me back a few years when my Ma was still with me - cheers Hilary

Fireblossom said...

Such pretty flowers! Happy (one day late) Mother's Day!

Lee said...

It sounds like you had a lovely weekend, Lynn. :) And, as always, your photos are lovely.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Beautiful view! I'd be out there too! Glad those flowers bloomed for Rhonda this Mother's Day. Mother's Day does seem to get much trickier after Mom has gone. The Irises look great in that vase!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I have fallen behind in blog reading due to recent family and fun travels and how nice to read that you too have been off on fun family visits. I enjoyed reading about the vase, both your mother's reaction to the gift and that you are now enjoying the vase, Lynn.

Lowcarb team member said...

It looks and sounds as if you had a wonderful Mothers Day.
I love the peony bushes.

All the best Jan

Lady Fi said...

Lovely view and flowers!