Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mama bird, bright spot, poignant

Bird feeder sans Cardinal

- Mama Cardinal came to visit the bird feeder and ate all the seed that had fallen into the tray.

- Talking to Kim from the grocery store checkout line all the way through unloading my sacks of food in the kitchen.

- The Susan G. Komen 3-day walk for breast cancer is this weekend - they are on the last leg of their walk this morning. I so admire that, having lost two friends to breast cancer. It was a coincidence, but on the way to the grocery store listening to the radio the song “Runaway Train” by Soul Asylum came on. My eyes welled up over part* of the lyrics. Not remembering why this song makes me want to cry, I looked the lyrics up later and found that it was released in 1992 when my best friend was struggling with breast cancer. It was a terrible year for her friends and family, but one that she considered the best year of her life. When I was done shopping for food, a checkout line was clear and contained my favorite checkout lady Krista. I said, “This is my lucky day!” She smiled and replied, “Every day should be your lucky day.” True...

* I can go where no one else can go
I know what no one else knows
Here I am just drownin' in the rain
With a ticket for a runaway train

No comments: