Wednesday, April 9, 2014

My Georgia kitchen, passing the dogwoods and more books

- Very early on Tuesday morning, I got absorbed in David Lebovitz's latest blog post, about the making of his new cookbook.  I've been reading his blog for years - he is an American chef living in Paris.  I need another cookbook like a hole in the head, but ordered it.  I just had to.  But look at how many I already have.  Maybe one more won't hurt.  :)

- The dogwood trees are blooming and really, on the wane already.  I pass one after the other when I'm driving, thinking how I should pull off residential streets and get out of my car to get a beautiful photo of them.  But in the spirit of my blog, things are good, not always perfect, so I snapped this beauty in the midst of power lines and storage business when I was parking somewhere yesterday afternoon.  I love how they pop up like that all over town.

- Tuesday is my long day - I go to volunteer work after my paying job.  We record publications and books for the blind there.  And this week is volunteer appreciation week, with the most exciting part for me being the stacks of books we could purchase for $1.  Here's what I got (see above stacked on the leaf shaped platter):  "Mockingbird" by Charles J. Shields - a portrait of author Harper Lee, "Cumberland Island" by Charles Seabrook - a history of the island off the coast of Georgia, and "Celestine - A Granddaughter's Reminiscence" by Celestine Sibley Fleming - a portrait of the late Atlanta journalist Celestine Sibley.  I used to read her column every day - it was a perfect start to the day.  And this was a perfect (almost) end to this one:  forking over my $3, not eating the appreciation cake, getting my recording done and heading home with takeout dinner.   A lovely day.

17 comments:

Granny Annie said...

You own the perfect stand for your cookbooks.

You made a little dogwood tree happy to photograph it. Not many would because of the busy surroundings.

MOCKINGBIRD would be my book choice. I did not know there was one written about Harper Lee. How wonderful that you continue your volunteer reading for the blind.

Joanne said...

Happy appreciation day! Mockingbird sounds great...I loved To Kill A Mockingbird!

TALON said...

I love your cookbook stand. I'm thinking one more will make it even better. :)

That's neat about the $1 books. You made some awesome choices.

I can't wait to see the blooms erupt around here. My dogwood should be in flower in about a month...that's if winter ever really shifts!

Lisa said...

I'm loving the dogwoods and azelias that are starting to bud, but you must admit that this hasn't been one of our prettiest springs. Maybe in a week I will regret those words. I will look for Celestine. I grew up reading her coloumn.

Elephant's Child said...

Oooh. Books are an addiction, and I would have wanted all of the ones you selected. Trees are an addiction too - and I love that image.

Leonora said...

Ooh, I would love to browse your kitchen book shelf. : )
I like your shuttered cabinets, too- so pretty!

Maude Lynn said...

You got some great books!

Lee said...

That looks like a good selection of reading material you've purchased, Lynn. I'm hopeless when I go into secondhand books stores! I deplete their stocks!

I, too, have a million cook books, but I no longer buy any. Enough is enough, already! I don't cook like I once did; and I once cooked professionally...more than once; nor do I entertain like I once did; which was often.

But that doesn't stop me for researching recipes on the Net, of course! I can't help myself!

G. B. Miller said...

Just a few books, eh?

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - like you I love cookery books - I've got rid of some .. but will get rid of more fairly soon - the more modern ones ..

Enjoy this new one - sounds a fascinating blog ...

Also the dogwoods - aren't they pretty .. we're having slightly cooler weather at the moment so our bulbs and blossoms are lasting well .. love this time of year ...

Then the Blind volunteering - this year I must get out and get myself on the local list ..

Tuesdays are a good day for you .. well fullfilled .. cheers Hilary

Riot Kitty said...

You will probably be able to open up a cookbook shop eventually. I love that line about things being good and not always perfect.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

If you love cooking---you can never have too many cook books! lol.....
I LOVED "Mockingbird"and Harper Lee wrote a true Masterpiece!

The Dogwood is already fading away??? That happened so quickly....!

Lynn said...

Granny Annie -

Thank you - I bought it at a garden shop, but it is called a "Baker's Rack", so I figured it called for cookbooks.

I hope it is happy. :)

I actually recorded that Mockingbird book - it was good. So I snapped it up to reread at some point.

Joanne -

I loved it, too.

Talon -

Me, too - or I hope so anyway.

I'm thinking this might be one last blast of winter - we're getting it, too.

Lisa -

Seems awfully pretty to me.

Elephant's Child -

I know - we share that addiction.

Lynn said...

Leonora -

Come over any time! I'll put the kettle on.

Mama Zen -

I think so, too.

Lee -

I keep thinking I'll make a project out of choosing one thing to cook out of each one of them. That would be fun to blog about, eh?

G -

A few...

Hilary -

It's volunteer work that is close to my heart - my grandmother was legally blind and I was inspired by her.



Lynn said...

Riot Kitty -

Thank you - I like to think of my blog that way.

Naomi -

I think all the rain is making the petals drop. :) They sure have been beautiful.

Snaggle Tooth said...

You have a wonderful cooking aptitude- My Mom had tons too- n was THE best cook!
Many books on the list there-

Lynn said...

Snaggle -

That's a wonderful memory of your mom.