Monday, March 10, 2014

Carrying around books, sweet Cali and this month's dish

- This sculpture, called "Adventure Mountain" at Lilburn Park, where I walk with friends on weekend mornings.  When I stopped to snap the photo with my phone - friend Janice shared that the sculpture bothers her because the dominant children are three boys climbing, while a girl holds a doll at the bottom.  (Click to enlarge.)  What makes this a good thing?  I liked the discussion that ensued in which we all had in common that we were more likely to carry around books when we were children (and as adults, too).  (Although we all had dolls, none of us were that attached to them.)

- When I got home from the walk, sweet neighbor Cali was sitting in a chair, enjoying the morning sunshine.

- And here, she has seriously settled in, looking as if she could use some sun goggles!

- This was fun - I had a telephone conversation with a staffer from Cooking Light magazine on Friday afternoon.  I have their Simmer and Boil blog linked to the right there and noticed one day they were looking for readers to interview about their use of the magazine.  My comments will be shared at the staff meeting this morning.  And deciding to live up to what I said about choosing one of two recipes per issue to make, this Sunday evening dish was good:  Grape Tomato, Olive, and Spinach Pasta - recipe found here.  It's for lunch today, too.  So good.  (Although the pasta was slightly too al dente for my taste.)

13 comments:

Granny Annie said...

It is very good to carry around books but it worries me that you did not carry around dolls and were not attached to them. What age are we talking about here? I will never forget when we moved and I was in 4th grade. My mother decided to thin out my dolls by taking away the ones that were missing heads, arms, legs, etc. Much like my chickens today, they all had names, regardless of their "special needs" and I loved them. I shall never forget the trauma of seeing them being thrown into the incinerator. I wish I could say I held onto my remaining dolls after that, but alas, I guess that was the end because I cannot remember a special doll after that day. But I do remember collecting real live boys after that, one at a time, and holding on with all my might:)

Recipe looks good. I am trying to eat more fresh spinach.

Susan Kane said...

I had dolls, but did not carry them around much. I had 3 brothers and they probably would have torn dolly apart.

Elephant's Child said...

My brothers decapitated my dolls while they were studying the French Revolution. All of them. They spared me the teddy bears and pink puppy.
And I still carry books with me. Almost everywhere I go.
The recipe looks excellent.

Fireblossom said...

Awww, Cali's so cute!!!

Riot Kitty said...

Well, Lynn, you've done it again. I just ate dinner and now you've gone and made me hungry by suggestion.

That dog is SO cute btw!

Cloudia said...

Sweet day! Glad you shared it




ALOHA from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

=^..^= <3

Lynn said...

Granny Annie -

I had dolls and there was one in particular that I loved, but she disappeared - I'm thinking into a charity box. The doll's name was Caroline the baby mine. :) That's what my mom and dad always said I called that doll - neither of them could tell me what happened to her. I guess after that I learned to not get too attached to dolls - I don't know, just now thinking this.

That is traumatic about the dolls being thrown into an incinerator! We have the same experience - not getting very attached after that (except to real live boys.) :)

It's always funny to me how spinach starts out so big and reduces to not that much when you saute it.

Susan -

That must have been interesting - living with 3 brothers.

Elephant's Child -

Oh my! More doll violence - I'm glad they at least spared the stuffed animals!

Yes - I carry books around still, too.

FB -

So cute!

Lynn said...

Riot Kitty -

Thank you - I love that she has her own chair. One Saturday morning last summer, I came home and Rhonda was in a recliner next to the empty blue chair. Cali was on the deck. I didn't realize until later that the blue chair belonged to the dog and I plopped right down in it. :)

Cloudia -

Thank you - it was a sweet day.

LL Cool Joe said...

Janice was right to be bothered, it bothers me too. It's a shame really because it's a beautiful statue, but anything that encourages gender stereotyping bugs me. But then you know that already. :D

Joanne said...

I always carried around books instead of dolls when I was little also!

G. B. Miller said...

It is a nice statue, but its too bad that some people can't enjoy it because their personal beliefs cloud the enjoyment of it.

Instead of finding fault with something that was created in a different time period where the values/judgments were different, just enjoy it for what it is.

As for the dog, all he needs a lemonade and a radio (in addition to the glasses) and he's got it made.

Lynn said...

Joe -

I thought about you when I was making my post.

Joanne -

A kindred spirit.

G -

Actually the statue is new! Not from a different time period at all.

Snaggle Tooth said...

I agree about the statue sexism- I'm a Libber!
Yay the doggie finally posed! Love spaniels- but the one nearby barks non-stop a lot.