Monday, March 31, 2014

Pedestrianism, along the way and off we go

The true charm of pedestrianism does not lie in the walking, or in the scenery, but in the talking. The walking is good to time the movement of the tongue by, and to keep the blood and the brain stirred up and active; the scenery and the woodsy smells are good to bear in upon a man an unconscious and unobtrusive charm and solace to eye and soul and sense; but the supreme pleasure comes from the talk. - Mark Twain

 - Friend Laura and I took an early Sunday morning walk at the Greenway ParkOne tiny lone daffodil remains from that bunch, but the real story is here is the Lambs Ear.  Laura wanted me to feel it and it really was as soft as a lamb's ear.


- The garden club who maintains these plants always leaves these painted ladybugs around.  Christmas before last, Laura gave Janice and me each one of the painted ladybugs for our gardens at home.  She found them in a shop nearby.  It makes me smile every day.


- The brightness of the sun signals that we are near the end of the walk.  Laura says she makes a spring salad and sprinkles Violets, like these, on top.  Her face lights up, remembering, and she says it is pretty and delicious.


- Can you see the train coming there?  It was racing forward with its whistle blaring and we got in our cars to go in opposite directions.  Pedestrianism was fun while it lasted.

16 comments:

Joanne said...

I kind of want to put the painted ladybugs all around my apartment!

Granny Annie said...

I think I see the train. I know I see the ladybug. Soon I will see the real ladybugs in my home and that is not quite as much fun when they invade. Finally I actually saw some daffodils in the neighboring pasture. Woohoo! It will not be long for me.

Elephant's Child said...

For a change I disagree with Mark Twain. I do love walking, and the best ones are when I let nature do the talking and just listen - with open eyes and heart.
Mind you, I am very grateful to have been taken on your walk.

Lee said...

There is always something that disturbs the peace.

I've got a couple of smallish green ceramic frogs out amongst some potted plants - they bring a smile to my face, too. They've become a bit faded with age, but then, who am I to talk...so am I! ;)

G. B. Miller said...

I'll be glad once Spring kicks in to full gear here, then I'll be able to experience pedestrianism in all its wonderful glory.

Lynn said...

Joanne -

Ah - that sounds nice.

Granny Annie -

Woohoo is right! You've got some spring now. :)

Elephant's Child -

I like to walk by myself, too, and listen to music, but I enjoy my walks with friends. It was good to catch up and talk about the growing things along the way. She never once asked why I was snapping so many photos. (I generally don't share my blog with friends.)

Lee -

We all are, my friend. :) I like the sound of those frogs!

G -

All in good time...

Riot Kitty said...

Lady bugs are supposed to be good luck in Switzerland :)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOVE the Ladybug! And they are very good luck, you know? Walking and talking---especially in a pretty garden----is The Best!!!

Snaggle Tooth said...

You have flowers outside! So lucky- We had more snowflakes amid cold down-pouring rains. Never seen a Lambs Ear before. Wonder if you can eat violas too- I have those usually. Glad you're still doing those walks.

TALON said...

I can't wait to see some ladybugs in the garden. Maybe I should be looking for the decorative sort to keep the spirit alive during the long cold months, Lynn. :)

LL Cool Joe said...

Oh I remember seeing the Ladybugs before. Very cute.

I went to the Garden centre yesterday with my Mother and they had some painted Ladybirds in bright green and purple, and they were made of tin. Although they sound tacky, they weren't at all and I did wonder about buying one but bought a small duck instead. :D

Louvregirl said...

Oh! Nice flowers!

Louvregirl said...

Oh! Nice flowers!

Louvregirl said...

Ooops! ;-)

Louvregirl said...

GREAT Mark Twain quote, Lynn.

Lynn said...

Riot Kitty -

I like that fun fact about lady bugs. I've heard that it is bad luck to kill one.

Naomi -

It is the best - indeed!

Snaggle -

The walk is definitely a mood lifter.

Talon -

A good idea!

Joe -

I'll bet the duck is cute. :)

lg -

I think so, too. :)