Friday, October 31, 2014

Along came a spider, most favorite and getting in the spirit

- It was a bit difficult to get this photo last Sunday morning, because the sun was in my eyes.  So I squinted and pointed the camera in the direction of the spider web, thinking it would be a good photo for Halloween.  I seem to be plagued by spiders - a few weeks ago a spider (maybe this one) built a similar web right at my front door.  When I left for work in the dark at 7am one morning, I walked into it and got some web in my hair.  :(  The spider beat a hasty retreat.  But I appreciate the beauty of this web and especially that the neighborhood spider spun it in an acceptable place (out of my path).   

- It's probably no secret that I love candy.  But I do try to limit it, except at Halloween and Christmas, and then all bets are off.  I knew when I bought that bag of Tootsie Pops, that it wouldn't make it until Halloween.  So I separated out my favorite red and orange flavors and took the brown and purple to work for the communal Halloween candy basket.  I've enjoyed the heck out of those red and orange ones. 

- That big number denotes the number of a printed material at work that we reference when we reprint something.  It's called a press sheet.  I noticed that the plant manager honored Halloween that time, when he signed off on the press sheet, by drawing a little goblin face.  :)

It's fun having a little early morning coffee and writing about Halloween.  I was thinking about Halloween when I was a little girl, and the first memory that always pops up was the year I was recovering from some illness and couldn't go trick or treating.  My mother tried to make it fun by letting me wear my costume and help her give out the candy to the kids that came to our door.  It was my first experience giving out candy with her - she LOVED doing that.  She always did.  I think about that every year when there are knocks on my door.  It's a lovely memory.  Happy Halloween and happy weekend, y'all!

19 comments:

Joanne said...

I think you did a great job with the spiderweb photo! Love how the light catches it.

Granny Annie said...

I do not like the spider webs that end up in my hair and on my face but I do love looking at them from a distance. Their intricate work is so amazing and their ability to rebuild one quickly is also amazing. Your photo turned out nicely.

I love Halloween but my new dear friend cannot celebrate with us. Her Arachnophobia is so bad that she cannot even look at a picture of a spider, even ones that are painted or printed on items. They spiral her into an anxiety attack. She stays in her home during Halloween to avoid seeing all the spiders on costumes.

Granny Annie said...

I do not like the spider webs that end up in my hair and on my face but I do love looking at them from a distance. Their intricate work is so amazing and their ability to rebuild one quickly is also amazing. Your photo turned out nicely.

I love Halloween but my new dear friend cannot celebrate with us. Her Arachnophobia is so bad that she cannot even look at a picture of a spider, even ones that are painted or printed on items. They spiral her into an anxiety attack. She stays in her home during Halloween to avoid seeing all the spiders on costumes.

Chatty Crone said...

Just stopping by to say Happy Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn said...

Joanne -

Thank you - it was blindly holding the camera and pointing. :)

Granny Annie -

I like that everyone has left this one alone and most of all, that it spun its web in an out of the way place.

So sorry your friend is affected by that -

Sandie -

Happy Halloween to you!

Elephant's Child said...

Spider webs are an intricate marvel - and so difficult to capture well. Love yours.
Happy Halloween.

TALON said...

Sweet memory, Lynn. My older brothers went trick or treating for me when I was getting over the measles. I was nine, I think. They got me pillow cases full of stuff. They were past the age of trick or treating (one was 14 and 19 back then), but said they didn't mind doing it. I had candy (me and my ever-present sweet tooth) right through until the new year. :)

Love the web shot. It's hard when the lighting isn't right and yet you got it and added a whole new element to it. Cool!

Happy Hallowe'en!

Betty Manousos said...

love your spider web photo, simply gorgeous!

happy halloween, lynn!
xoxo

Cloudia said...

That is a meaningful and important memory, bless you!






ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn .. love composition of the web - and aren't they amazing creatures ..

We're not really into Halloween over here .. but I'm always amazed how much people do with their pumpkins ...

Candy - no I try and steer clear ... but enjoy yours ... cheers Hilary

Snaggle Tooth said...

I had a similar web with strong strings walked into by the front lamp post also! Glad you had a good treat n fond memory for the holiday.
I've been off-line all week, n will return later to see the other posts I missed.

Lee said...

No one came a-knocking on my door...probably because of the huge sign outside informing everyone they would be wasting their time because I'd eaten all the candy and had none left to share!! :)

sage said...

Any chocolate tootsie pops left? My favorite. As for spider webs, your comment reminded me of why it was always nice to let someone start down the trail before you in the morning because the first person always ended up wearing the spider webs.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

No one comes here anymore---It's not a Halloween friendly Neighborhood---Too many hills; not enough kids; and 'the flats' have much better offerings. It's fine with me. I don't end up eating all the left over candy cause there isn't any in the first place! LOL! Hope your Halloween was fun!

Sparkling Red said...

Mmm... Tootsie pops... I can't remember the last time I ate one. If we ever had to share a bag it would work out perfectly. I'd be happy to take the brown and purple ones off your hands.

Riot Kitty said...

That is a great pic! I love looking at webs but hate walking into them.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful light in that first shot.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful light in that first shot.

Sara said...

Well, you did a better job with not eating too much of your candy. My husband did the Halloween shopping this year and bought WAY TOO MUCH chocolate.

We were lucky there was enough left over for the kids (actually there was plenty)

I also the spiderweb photo. I have a thing about spiders. They always show up when I struggling with something. Their webs remind to be aware of the fragility of life, but also to take time and appreciate the beauty of it.

Thanks for working to get that picture and sharing it.