Friday, October 24, 2014

Good for your health, old neighborhood and making it happen

- There is a man who lives in my hometown of Milledgeville, Georgia, who was a classmate of my younger sister.  He is a local radio personality and the self-proclaimed "mayor" of the neighborhood my parents moved to when they were a very young married couple.  It's an old neighborhood.  I like driving through it when I visit (which has been way too long now.)

- This is the house I refer to above.  It's an insurance company now - and so small that it's hard to believe four people lived there (so long ago.)  My three-year-old memory has the yard to the right (fenced back then) as being much bigger.  We only lived there two years - my younger sister was on the way and we needed a much larger home.  But I like thinking of the cheerful man living somewhere within that neighborhood and love hearing about it on facebook.

- Every morning, he posts what he refers to as "Coffee Pot Parade" and this morning he ended it with this:

"It Is Said That When You Lose Hope That You Have Lost Everything! The Best Way To Deal With The Bad Things Is To Get Up And Do Something! Don't Wait For Good Things To Happen. Get Out There And Make Good Things Happen! There Is Still Much That Is Good In The World. Your Actions Can Help Fill The World With Hope. Remaining Positive And Continuing To Move Forward Is How We Combat The Bad Things! Get Out There And Live Each Second Without Hesitation! And Never Lose Hope That Good Things Are On The Way!" 

Couldn't have said it better myself.  :)  And he inspired someone else to post that quote by Voltaire at the top (which I have borrowed).  Love that he inspired this trip down memory lane, too.  Have a great weekend, my friends!

11 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Good advice, but not always easy to do, depending on one's personal circumstance. I Like that Voltaire quote, too.....!
Have a lovely weekend, my dear!

Lynn said...

Naomi -

Yes - very true, not easy to get "out there" if you must stay inside, but you bring good things and joy through your blog and your wonderful friends.

Ileana said...

Beautiful story and that quote speaks volumes. Hoping you have a wonderful weekend in your lovely little world. You make everything look and sound so magical.

MunirGhiasuddin said...

I love that caption. I am kind of following that as well. Being upset does not get you anywhere, if only we could control our on emotions. I am trying.

TALON said...

Attitude really is everything. In light of recent shootings, it is hard to find the bright side...I guess the main thing is we continue to support each other through the dark times and share our joys.

Wishing you a beautiful weekend, Lynn! Stuffed with good things. :)

Granny Annie said...

You have such a way of awakening joy. Your good things are pleasurable and I love these memories. I will never forget returning to one of my old home places and seeing the screened in front porch that I thought was huge and remembered roller skating over it on rainy days. It was the smallest little porch! LOL

Lee said...

So many happy memories and some sad are held between those four small walls, I'll bet.

Everything seemed so much larger when we were three years old...we were so much smaller then as we looked up (in more ways than one)to all that surrounded us.

A good wake-up call to start my day, Lynn...thank you. :)

Joanne said...

My mom still lives in the house I grew up in, but if she ever moves, I'm sure it will be strange to go back and see it with someone else living in it!

Sparkling Red said...

Three cheers for those sentiments! If only Toronto would elect such a wise mayor...

Riot Kitty said...

Good point! Often, we must create our own happiness.

Jannie Funster said...

That is some awesome quoting, I find true. Get up get out and do something, good things will happen.

Places always seem much bigger looking back, I think.

Cool how FaceBook can bring so much awesome into our lives!

xooxo