Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Good sport, rise and shine and soaking it in

The extended Thanksgiving holiday in northern Florida was beautiful and warm.  The sunflowers are from the crop in the lower fields and my great niece Kloie made the Thanksgiving card, using her hand.  I love that kids still do that!  The round, green cylinder on the right is the birthday hat she made for my brother-in-law, who was a good sport and wore it in the restaurant, where we celebrated his birthday the evening before Thanksgiving.  Passing wait staff said, "Happy Birthday, Pepaw!" as they passed. 

The sun rising and shining through the Live Oaks on Thanksgiving morning.  

My sister got the idea for this structure for swings via Pinterest and had it built.  We christened the new brick fire pit in the center on Saturday night by toasting marshmallows over it.  The night sky was so beautiful that I could actually see the stars (something that gets lost in the city skies where I live.)

It made nephew Curtis smile that I was walking around snapping photos with my phone on Sunday morning, right before departure.  I was soaking up the beauty, I said.  And I was trying to get his dog Hank in the photo - there he is in the background.  Hank loves roaming this property - it's like a giant vacation for him - being on the farm.

17 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

So if you swing too hard can you burn your feet on the fire pit? :D

Love the handmade Thanksgiving card and hat.

Lee said...

Lovely photos, Lynn. It appears you all shared a wonderful, happy Thanksgiving weekend with beautiful weather as the accompaniment. :)

Elephant's Child said...

It sounds, and looks, like a wonderful weekend. Which is lovely.

sage said...

THat is a neat swing around the fire pit!

Granny Annie said...

Joyful, joyful! Especially happy that Pepaw wore the hat. I have been wanting a fire-pit forever. This might inspire me to get it done.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Love your swing structure and firepit! Wouldn't that be delightful on a cool evening!

Louvregirl said...

It all looks lovely, Lynn!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Looks like you not only had a good holiday celebration with family, but that the weather was very cooperative as well. Great swing idea and did you try it as well? Marshmallows roasted over an open flame are the best.

Snaggle Tooth said...

What a fun time- Pretty Sunflowers, n place to celebrate.
Pepaw? how funny-
Farms are great places to be, I think.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, love this series. The tree with the moss are my favorites. Sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving. The card with the turkey/hand is cute. The sunflowers are pretty. Enjoy your day and the weekend ahead!

Adam said...

When she was still alive, my dog loved exploring. She often escape the fence and spend who knows how long all over the place

Lady Fi said...

Wow - beautiful shots of the trees!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - lovely to see and read about ... the thanksgiving card, the special hat - well done to BIL on wearing it. That swing duo - just wonderful especially with marshmallow-toes in the middle!! Cheers Hilary

Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely photos, i really like the hand print thanksgiving card

Sara said...

Wow, I love this post, especially the swing and fire pit. What a cool idea.

As always, a visit to your life cheers me up...and I need it today. It's terribly gloomy here. I'm not used to it after days and days and days of sunshine:~)

However, the rain was welcome. Have you gotten any winter birds visiting? Ours are very slow at drifting in. It doesn't help that we've had a winter hawk here for a visit.

Your pictures are fabulous. As I JUST got a smart phone, I'm having a great time playing with photos. It's a new learning experience, but I'm experimenting with Instagram as well as FB.

Anyway, I hope all is well with you!

Snaggle Tooth said...

Thanks for your comment

Leonora said...

Whoa! Majorly cool swing/fire pit! I often wondered if people made grand Pinterst ideas come alive and your sister is proof that they do. I mostly dream about things that I Pin, realizing they will most likely never happen for real. It sounds like you all had wonderful family time for the holiday.