- This photo was posted on facebook by friend Rebecca T., who left her office in downtown Atlanta at 3pm and reported that she had traveled two miles in two hours. She finally made it to a friend's house at 5am this morning. There are lots of stories on the news like that - so wonderful that so many people offered their homes, rides, roadside assistance, etc.
- If there is blame for the traffic gridlock that you have surely seen on the news in the aftermath of only 2.5 inches of snow, it's to the governor of Georgia and the mayor of Atlanta, who took a gamble and didn't close schools yesterday (thousands of children ended up sleeping at school), didn't treat the streets and didn't offer up more warnings. Too many people took to the streets at the same time after they started getting icy. The governor portrayed the storm as "unexpected." Nope - not true. I, Lynn from Good Things Happened, have known about this from TV weather reports since Monday. Hmmm....
- But we like to focus on the positive here, so here are three good things that happened from yesterday:
- Neighbor Rhonda sweeping off the snow and making a path to our cars (not that we are going anywhere today, but you never know.) When I thanked her for doing that, she smiled and said, "Listen to the quiet!" And there was indeed a beautiful quietness in the snow fall.
- Retired Atlanta Braves third baseman Chipper Jones went out and rescued current first baseman Freddie Freeman on his four wheeler after reading on Twitter that Freeman was stranded on the road home (as so many were.) That story here. :)
- A baby girl was born on the side of I-285 in a car yesterday at 5pm, when her parents couldn't get through the gridlocked traffic to the hospital in time. A police officer stopped to check on them, sensing something was up and said the father was calm, the mother did great and the father delivered his daughter entirely by himself. The officer was able to contribute first aid supplies before the paramedics arrived to get them all to the hospital. She'll have the best birthday story ever!
And I get to stay home today. Yay! Hope you all are having a wonderful day.