Friday, February 20, 2015

Curio cabinet, happy ending and goldfinches

 - The story of my new cabinet:  My sister and I walked by a newly opened antiques shop in Thomasville, Georgia on the day after Christmas.  She said that building had been a hardware store for years.  A hand inside the window waved at us, so we went in.  While my sis talked to the very nice lady who had waved, I walked around and browsed.  Tucked away in the corner was a lighted curio cabinet with a "Sale" tag of $50 on it.  I thought, "$50????  Hmmm...how could I get that home?"  I knew just the spot for it in my dining room.  We left and I mulled it over while we walked around town.  I mentioned to her that I thought I might like that cabinet and she said it would fit in the back of her SUV, so we went back, only to find the shop had closed for the day.  I snapped a photo of the telephone number posted on the door and finally called about it during the last week of January.  The shop lady said she was very sorry, she was using it as a display case now.  Well shoot.  I cajoled and made my case, but no, she was firm - it was no longer for sale.  (It's in the photo above - found on their facebook page. Click to enlarge.  Far left corner in the back.)

- As you can see from this photo, this story has a happy ending - here it is in the corner of my dining room with contents from around my home in place.  I adore it.  :)  Here's what happened:  My sister and I were talking on the phone about her upcoming trip to visit me in Atlanta on the first week of February and I told her my tale of woe about the cabinet, adding "I should have bought it on the spot when I saw it."  She said, "I'm going to Thomasville tomorrow (she lives about 30 miles away in northern Florida) and I'll see what I can do."  She walked into the shop and pleaded my case again for me, by saying that she was coming up for my birthday and would love to surprise me.  She walked around the shop browsing and the shop lady thought about it, "It's her birthday?  Really?"  My sister called me while I was driving home that afternoon, "You owe me $53.50!" :)  The very nice lady had acquiesced.  Here it is and I adore it.  We need to send my sis to Washington, I think.

- Sara says my birds from the last post might very well be goldfinches.  How about that?  And perfect that I am reading the book, "The Goldfinch" right now.  I can hardly put it down at this point.   Click on the red link for Stephen King's review in The New York Times Book Review.  If he liked it, that's good enough for me.

Thanks for coming by!  Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

sage said...

Nice story about your cabinet. It is beautiful.

desk49 said...

lights yet not
upon the wall
letting you see
things big and small

for fifty dollars
one couldn't go wrong
a friendly wave
pushed that deal along

from food you bring
a bird does sing
again you write
of three good things

Granny Annie said...

That is what sisters are for:-)

Lee said...

What a loving, thoughtful and generous sister you have. Hold on to her...don't send her to Washington! :)

Joanne said...

I loved The Goldfinch! And I'm so glad you got your cabinet in the end. :)

G. B. Miller said...

Now that, is a very cool sister indeed.

Father Nature's Corner

Sparkling Red said...

It's sweet that the shop owner was willing to let you have the cabinet for your birthday. It will be all the more enjoyable to have in your home because it is attached to a story of generosity. :-)

Laura said...

Happy Birthday!!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - what a lovely story ending for your birthday ... and I love the lighted cabinet ... brilliant and how clever that your sister did her due birthday diligence for your birthday - what a lovely surprise.

Hope you had a happy weekend - deciding on the curious curios to go inside your new cabinet .... Cheers Hilary

Jannie Funster said...

Ahhhh, what a great sis and story!! Amazing cabinet, the lighting sets if off beautifully.

Sounds like a good book. My next to read is Talon's, going to download that to my computer later this evening. I do have one book on the go, enjoying it a lot about Savannah Squirrel, but I have misplaced it! I know it will show up, though, when it's meant to!

xoxoox

Snaggle Tooth said...

I do like that cabinet! I can think of lots I could put in there Glad your sis had the magic touch! ...

Riot Kitty said...

I love getting a new piece of furniture. Enjoy!