Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Wren party, in flight and coming home

- It's been a regular wren party on my back porch the last several days.  I took about 20 photos on Sunday, trying to get a good one, but they are constantly in motion.  I like this one of them in silhouette.

- You would need to click to enlarge to see the bird in flight here.  My dad gave me this feeder years ago to foil squirrels getting to the bird seed.  I don't really have the right kind of seed in this - it's Niger seed, but they love it.  They probably need it, too - it's unseasonably cold here this week.

- It was great entertainment since I have been a bit under the weather with a nasty cold and stayed in a lot last weekend.  If you click to enlarge, you can see one fellow perched on top waiting for a spot.  :)  I think these are wrens (or perhaps goldfinches) and wonder if they are from the families who build nests in the birdhouse there in the spring.  I like to think so.

12 comments:

sage said...

I hope you are recovering and glad you had the wrens to entertain you.

Leonora said...

Sorry you caught a cold Lynn. One day I hope someone comes up with a perfect cure-all for colds. They are the most miserable things! Keep warm, drink plenty of liquids...oh, you know!

G. B. Miller said...

I got a party of something outside my front porch in the middle of a brutal cold front. Mostly feathered friends with the occasional squirrel.

Definitely a good way to start a morning.

Joanne said...

Maybe the influx of wrens means that spring is coming? I hope!!

Anonymous said...

So sweet to see the birds in flight! Get well soon.

Cloudia said...

I loved this sweet visit




ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
<3

Lee said...

All my birds here have gone into hiding as wild weather is coming. I threw some meat scraps out to them this morning...and whistled. Usually as soon as they hear the screen door open they appear...and if and when I whistle they never fail to arrive. But this morning...they're sheltering somewhere safe. They know.

Snaggle Tooth said...


Folks don't usually realize the work involved in taking wild animal pics, especially the birds! They are so quick!
I have so many fluttered flubs it's pathetic! A very few ok ones with the new cam tho- not uploaded yet. They are great to watch. First I noticed green plants there- getting sick of white n grey here.

Hope you are back up to speed n warmed up soon! I'd heard you froze there-

Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely to see the wrens! Hope you feel better soon

Sara said...

I loved the bird pictures. I have the same issue as you about taking pictures of the birds at the feeders.

Your pictures are actually good. From what I saw, I think you've been visited by "Goldens"!!!

They are very busy right now filling up for their trip back to Canada. I know this because they're eating us out of house and bird food:~)

BTW Goldfinches LOVE Niger seed...it's a favorite food of theirs. Enjoy them.

Take care of yourself and feel better soon, okay?

Riot Kitty said...

I hope you feel better! Those are impressive shots. I know those are hard to get.

Sparkling Red said...

Get well soon!
I can't wait for the birdies to be back in business in my neighbourhood.