Friday, October 16, 2015

A walk in the park, wee library and waiting for me

- The weather in Atlanta has finally turned nice!  We are not seeing much fall leaf color yet.  I'm sweeping the fallen brown leaves at home and saw a few here, at Tanyard Creek Park - my favorite after work walking spot.

- There were a few golfers out at Bobby Jones Golf Course, which borders the park.  You'd have to click to enlarge to spot them.  It was a beautiful, late afternoon walk.


- At the end of my walk, I was delighted to see this Little Free Library.  The park borders a nice neighborhood, where I imagine most the patronage of this "Take a book / Return a book" spot comes from.  Love this idea.  Click on the red link to find out how to build a "Literacy Friendly Neighborhood."  

- And speaking of books, look what was waiting for me when I got home from that walk!  Friend Kim Talon's latest novel, "Tethered Birds."    The red link takes you to her website, where you can also view her amazing photography.   I found it at Amazon.com, but the internet tells me it is available in a number of other places.   I started reading it yesterday and am already absorbed.

Looks as if it will be a nice and chillier weekend here in Atlanta.  Hope you have a great one!

12 comments:

Granny Annie said...

I am guessing you won't be putting TETHERED BIRDS in the Free Library. That is such a neat idea. I have lost touch with Talon and did not know her second book was already out. I must get my copy now that I am reading again. I had to buy some strong magnified glasses but they work. Everything around here is turning brown as the leaves fall and cold approaches.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - what a delightful post ... Tethered Birds near tethered friends - the little library, to be untethered with books set free for others to read. So glad the weekend for you sounds a comfortable autumn one ... we're in misty gloom - but it's not too cold yet, but on that borderline!!

Happy reading and walking .. cheers Hilary

TALON said...

Thank you so much, Lynn, for mentioning "Tethered Birds". :) I still can't get over the fact you are right by the Bobby Jones golf course. That is so neat. And those Free Libraries are the neatest thing ever. It's wonderful that the physical books haven't been completely replaced (yet) with the ebooks. I don't think you can replace the tactile experience of a book in hand. Our fall color is getting ripped away by fierce winds, but it sure was pretty while it lasted.

Elephant's Child said...

I think that Free Libraries are a truly brilliant idea.
I am really looking forward to a review of Tethered Birds when you finish. Hint, hint.
Have a great weekend.

Jannie Funster said...

Wow, Kim's on fire with her writing. I bet I love it as much as "Strings & Bones."

I recently golfed for the first time! And got the highest score!!!!!!!!!!!!! (But apparently, that's not a good thing.) :)

xooxoxoxo

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I love the idea of passing books on and leaving something wonderful for someone else.....Lovely, Lovely, Lovely. And you live in such a lovely area, my dear.... I've only been to Atlanta once, and it was such a long longtime ago----I didn't really get to see any of the sights much.....But had a great time while there visiting friends who were doing a play in one of the big theatres there.....It was a really fun weekend! Never laughed so much in my life.....BUT, I didn't get to see what a beautiful area it was and, obviously, still is.....!

desk49 said...

I am reading Tethered Birds and have read Strings & Bones both good.
Only problem is I'm a slow reader, longer to enjoy tho.

Sparkling Red said...

Little Libraries have been popping up all over Toronto. It's a fantastic concept. There aren't any in my neighbourhood yet, but I remain hopeful.

sage said...

Lots of nice little surprises!

Snaggle Tooth said...

Nice book post! Glad for Talon's new book. I'll have to request the library get those!

G. B. Miller said...

We got one of those freebie libraries in our town. Not quite sure how popular it is, but it's a step in the right direction.

Amazon

Crafty Green Poet said...

I like the little free library, such a nice idea