Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Sentimental journey, pinch hitter and nice surprise

 - It was another rainy Saturday, so I was at home a lot (which is always OK with me.)  I snapped a photo of a section of my bookcase that means much to me.  I like my shelf of books with Flannery O'Connor story collections, as well as books about the state of Georgia.  And that pot with the bird perched on it has an etched line from a hymn that was sung at my mother's funeral, "His Eye is on the Sparrow."  If you click on the red link, you can hear Lauryn Hill and Tanya Blount sing it - so beautiful with its lyric, "I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free..."


- At church on Sunday, some friends placed these beautiful flowers in honor of their late wife and  mother.  This photo taken with my phone does not do them justice.  The pianist is another church member, who was pinch hitting for the music director, absent because he was by his wife's side as she gave birth to their new son. 


- And I found this bottle of wine at my desk on Monday morning - a gift from coworker Joanne, because I worked late on her projects last week.  A nice surprise.  I took it home, but thought about leaving it at work for emergencies.  :) 

Hope you are having a good day!


14 comments:

Fireblossom said...

Your posts always make me smile, Lynn.

Granny Annie said...

Wonderful post! But you do have me humming two songs. Sentimental Journey and His Eye is On the Sparrow. Wonder which will stay with me all day?

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - I do love the photos and the post - so homely and so true to life ... and it's got cold here ... well I thought it'd be colder when I went out ... but it is coming!

I went looking for the fish eye wines ... and the site is bright brilliant - but takes forever to load - therefore I'm unimpressed ... still it's clever design and marketing ...

Enjoy the wine sipped slowly on another cold rainy weekend day .. cheers Hilary

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I loved seeing your Bookshelves and that is such a pretty lamp and so is that wonderful pot.....This post brought up some lovely meaningful memories for me---I first heard "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" back in the early 1950's.....And got to hear Ethel Waters sing it 8 times a week while working on her One-Woman Show.....She sang it with so much heart....How wonderful that it was sung at such a memorable and meaningful time in your life. And I LOVE that line, too.....!

Enjoy that wine, my dear.....! :)

Elephant's Child said...

Such a beautiful, moving post.
Thank you.

Riot Kitty said...

A rainy Saturday at home sounds rather nice.

desk49 said...

Tethered Birds: by Kim Talon

A book to read
on a day of rain
or under a
sun filled tree

fish eye wine
that would be
something to see

Lynn said...

Thanks FB!

Lynn said...

Sentimental Journey, I'll bet! I'm singing the Muppet song in my head. 😀

Lee said...

Cheers! Now I feel like having a glass of red!

I always like your photos, Lynn...they're always so nice and have a certain warmth about them. :)

Snaggle Tooth said...

I'd like to sing without being under a micro-scope here n waking folks... need more non-headphone music in my life! Yep you put music in my head too!

Haddock said...

Like that picture in the church, especially the way the light falls on the flower.

Anonymous said...

Lovely shots.

Sparkling Red said...

Staying at home on a rainy Saturday with a full bookcase sounds delightful. And isn't it nice to be appreciated for your hard work!