Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Imagine, loading up and magnificence

The Stovall-O'Brien-Beecher-DeGraffenreid-Calloway-Conn-Gardner House (aka House of 13 columns), Milledgeville, Georgia, ca. 1825

- A visit to my parents' attorneys in Milledgeville, Georgia, is delightful for the opportunity to finally go inside this lovely house in which they have their offices. It was designed by John Marlor in the Federal and Greek style and the fanlight over the door is a feature of the style of architecture of that era. The columns are thought to represent Georgia as the 13th American colony. As I take my leave, I imagine what it must have been like to stand on that porch in 1825.

- A visit to Ryal's Bakery around the corner from the house is a must and I load up a box of brownies and iced shortbread cookies for my next stop to my clients at the cultural center in Madison, Georgia. The goodies are a selfless gift to the clients for our meeting. Really.

- Arriving at the cultural center (which was a school until 1957) and before the clients appear, a beautifully coiffed woman in a navy suit appears at the door and asks if I know where the stage is. I do and show her. No - she wants to go on the stage, she used to appear in plays here in high school until she graduated in 1951. I locate a side stage door and she goes in. As I turn to go back to the conference room, I hear singing. She has burst into the song, "Because." I walk around to the auditorium and listen while her grandchildren snap pictures. She says the song just came out of her - it was sung at her wedding 59 years ago. She lives in Tucson, Arizona now and has returned to Madison to bury her husband in the family cemetery.

14 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

Ahh, that 3rd one was told so beautifully, and such a touching tale. Spontaneous song is a thing of beauty (please tell that to my family -- some days I think they've had enough of that out of me.) :)

1825. I'd love to go there for a visit!

xoxo

Lynn said...

Jannie -

I am so grateful I got there at the exact time I did, five minutes later and I'd have missed her singing. As we were finding the stage door she recited some of the plays she was in there - the one I remember was, "A Date with Judy." She said she got so nervous once that she fainted onstage. I just told the operations manager that story and she said that is the kind of thing that always happens to me. :) I'm glad you are spontaneous like that, too, Jannie Muffin.

And yes - it would be fun to go back in time to see what it was like. I suspect I would have disliked those voluminous skirts they wore and there was no air conditioning. :)

TALON said...

Spontaneous song - how lovely!

I can see you in a hoop skirt, Lynn, waiting for your carriage to arrive :)

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

music is always part of joy in life...

Riot Kitty said...

I need to go get some selfless gifts for the office volunteers... :)

Lynn said...

Talon -

It was lovely. I wonder why anyone thought that hoop skirt thing was a good idea? :)

Jingle -

Music is a huge part of my life, for sure.

Riot Kitty -

Yes - treats with the pretense treating the others is always a good thing. :)

Meredith said...

I'm *sure* I'd have hated the voluminous skirts. On a plantation tour in Louisiana once, the tour guide (a historical preservationist) was wearing a modern version for show -- and told us the real thing typically weighed 40 pounds! In summer!

I'm sure that sweet gift was entirely selfless. ;)

That impromptu concert sounds like it was so lovely and moving. She didn't know it, but she was singing partly for you, Lynn. :)

Lynn said...

Meredith -

Yes - I enjoyed her impromptu concert immensely and of course, thought "I'm so posting about this." A magic moment.

Shyamanga said...

The the lady in the navy suit reminded me of someone dear who used to hum a sweet tune almost all through the day. A happy soul...just used to sing and make everyone happy.

In New Delhi, we have something almost similar to the House of 13 columns but a lot, lot older called the "Bara Khamba" monument or monument with 12 pillars. It's a tomb built in the 14th century. It's grand and finally getting a face-lift.

Guess you like bakeries. :)lol

Blue Bunny said...

wow, i hops my jannie nevir fantes on stage, butt if she do she will wake up agin -- the sho must go on!!

xoxo

blue bunny muffin.

xo

Blue Bunny said...

oh yess, i wood miss the air kondisshining too. and my hot baths enny minit i wonts one!!

xo
me agin

blue bunny muffin

Snaggle Tooth said...

Don't know how I missed commenting this post- must've been a bumped offline day-
Beautiful historic home! Must be strange living in a museum. We still have a few ancient houses here. My town was incorporated in the 1600s.
If I were a client I'd be snakin well! Bet I'd love the shortbread-
Wow- you weren't expecting a stage show- Good for her!

Snaggle Tooth said...

N snackin well too!

Lynn said...

Shyamanga -

I think that sounds like a lovely person to be around - someone who hums a sweet tune all day. I know you miss her.

India sounds like a wondrous place - full of great things to see, like that monument.

Yes - I have a bit of a sweet tooth. :)

Blue Bunny -

We are lucky to have such wonderful things like hot baths and cool air, huh?

xoxoxo

Snaggle -

You could be a client - we ship. :) I do some printing for a college in Wisconsin.

The Gardners don't actually live in the house, they just have their offices there. They did have a few nice antiques around, but all in all that place needs some work. Since it is on the National Register of Historic buildings, they must get approval for anything they do to it. They told me one of the columns was in danger of falling and they had someone in to shore it up and the people from the Historical Society were all over them for not getting approval. Silly in a way, but it does keep someone from buying the house and painting it purple. :)