Thursday, July 12, 2007

One week ago today


- One week ago today I awoke to the sounds of Washington, DC stirring. There were helicopter noises and emergency vehicles. My sister and her husband and I had spent the night of July 4th with friends and I slept on the couch downstairs. The men left for work silently around 7am. A few minutes later the two perky gals pictured above clattered down the stairs and wanted to know if I would like to go for coffee at Starbucks.
- Never one to rush in the morning, I nevertheless quickly got myself together to go with them. Kathy's dog Utah lead the way along the neighborhood walking path that leads to coffee. It was fun sitting with the girls outside watching commuters come and go and not having to work ourselves that day.
- Later we went to the Smithsonian Folklife Festival and got caught in a rain storm under a tent that had Irish linens. The red haired young man manning the tent explained that he was "a bit of a dog's body" for the family owned company that makes the linens. Apparently "dog's body" means you are the bottom of the totem pole, if you will. He certainly should be promoted for his ability to entertain and show fabric amid a soaking rain shower.

No comments: