Monday, July 16, 2018

Good Things Happened: morning, a bee & an adventure

The view from my car, as I was getting into it on Sunday morning.  The plants all looked so nice, that I couldn't resist snapping a photo.  Neighbor Rhonda is a much better gardener than I, but I do contribute to about 1/3 of this.

This guy was busy working on the petunias (OK - probably not petunias - I'll ask Rhonda).  This photo was actually the first one - I had to go back inside to find my phone so I could snap the photo.  And then it was inside my purse all along.  Does this kind of thing happen to you guys?  It happens to me all too often.  :)

This plant is new - replacing the flowering one purchased in May, which went south fairly quickly (probably needed more all-day light).  I thought I would just get another fern, since they do well in this spot.  And this turned into an adventure:  Around 5:30pm on Saturday, I went to the garden center at the hardware store nearby, and a young man who was watering all the plants at the end of the day helped me take down a nice, bushy, hanging fern.  The cashier rang it up and kindly carried it to the car for me.   I got home, took the fern out of the back of my car and noticed the edge of a bird's nest.  Oh my - please let this be an empty nest, I thought.  But no - I parted the fern fronds and - shriek!  There was one unhatched egg + two live baby birds, looking up at me anxiously, with their beaks open.  I looked at the time - 5:48pm.  The hardware store closes at 6, so I raced back up there and made it with two minutes to spare.  The store staff came from all corners to ooh and aah over the babies.  I finally insisted we get it hung back up exactly where it was, so their mama could find them and rest assured they were back safely.  The young man who had been watering hoisted it back into place.  I hope they'll be OK.  I suggested they put a not for sale note on it.  And somehow, having lost my enthusiasm for ferns, at that point, I got this spider plant instead.  

Feeling a little guilty at not being around to your blogs, but I will touch base this week.  Lots going on here, nothing bad, just not a lot of home computer time.  Thank you for coming by.  Hugs!

15 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, what a surprise. I hope the babies on the nest will be ok. The flowers do look pretty.
Enjoy your day and new week!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That is either one big bee or one little petunia!

Granny Annie said...

Did they get your phone number so they could tell you if the mama bird found her babies?

Kay G. said...

Oh you are my bird hero! Good for you! Let us know if they were okay!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - gosh that must have been a surprise ... and I'm so glad you were able to get back to the store before it shut and thus I hope save the littlies ...

Love the views though ... it looks so peaceful ... cheers Hilary

Elephant's Child said...

Aaaargh. That adventure has me very, very anxious. Thank you so much for rushing the plant and its important inhabitants back. Fingers and toes crossed that the parents find them in time.

LL Cool Joe said...

I agree with Debra about the bee! Nice to see you blogging, and your garden looks very beautiful. My garden lacks colour and and beauty. It's tidy but boring. I just can't do it all.

Chatty Crone said...

I think that was a lot of excitement there - you seemed to know more than they did tho. sandie

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a surprise to find, Lynne, and hoping that your quick action results in a family bird reunion. The flowers look lovely. And, I can understand about trying to find comouter time especially in summer months with so much going on and it’s all good here too!

Lee said...

Wow! That is an amazing story about the eggs and the baby birds. How wonderful of you to take the plant (and them) back to the store. I do hope they are okay. Whew! I'm glad it was you that bought the plant...some others may not have been as concerned and kind of heart. Good on you, Lynn.

Lovely garden and photos, as always. :)

I'm the odd one out...I don't use my cell/mobile phone. It never goes with me when I go out. It sits continually in a case, linked to a power outlet, and I charge it once a week. I never use it...it is only there for back-up if my landline phone goes out of action.

Lady Fi said...

Lovely plants. And enjoy your time away from the computer.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Seems many of bloggers have slowed down for the heat this summer - Me Too! so there won't be much of catch-up there! I got to the library for the first time this month yesterday! Saw your post but didn't have comment time.

So glad you saved the birds, n found agreeable store clerks to help with it!

Of course I can't find things often, especially when they are right where I put them! It's the pressure that makes it difficult! Darn clock...

Lowcarb team member said...

I think the garden looks lovely.
I enjoyed your photographs.

All the best Jan

sage said...

Lovely garden and patios.

Blogging mostly these days at www.thepulpitandthepen.com

Louvregirl said...

Nice spider plant. I always love your photos of your patio garden plants, dear Lynn! We had a bird nest exactly next to our sliding glass door last summer. We had to 'work around it!' This summer, I noticed the birds put the nest on a similar light fixture on the side of my neighbor's with a LOT less human traffic (none.) I was relieved!!!!