Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fat Tuesday, the day after and experience

Mardi Gras by Bob Trammell

- Remembering the good time I had with five friends and thousands of new acquaintances several years ago at Mardi Gras in New Orleans. I never went back because it was easily the best time I ever had and there does not seem to be any possible way that could be duplicated. And those friends have scattered, two dropping out of sight, another moving to another state, one passed away and one is still my crazy friend Cary who I pick up with where we left off every time I see him.

- On Ash Wednesday, the revelers will wake up to a city with perfectly clean and strangely quiet streets. The ankle deep trash that is allowed to be dropped in the French Quarter during Mardi Gras will have been swept away by people hard at work during the night.

- On that Ash Wednesday, during the long drive back to Atlanta and just out of New Orleans, we had a flat tire on the van. Later, when Ed took it to be repaired, he was told it had a bullet in it. Just part of the New Orleans experience and no real surprise to any of us.

4 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

Good Lord, a bullet in the tire!

I am assuming your Mardi Gras experience was before Katrina?

I've not been to Mardi Gras but I did spend a fun few days in New Orleans in 1995. Cute town!

Lynn said...

Yes - before Katrina. New Orleans has always been sort of fraught with crime. The van had been parked on the street, so we figured it got caught in a crossfire, or someone shot at us on the highway - another alarming thought!

I went back to New Orleans in the Fall of 2000 on a business trip and it was interesting to see the French Quarter at a different time from Mardi Gras.

Jannie Funster said...

Holy cow. I do remember A LOT of police on patrol there.

Lynn said...

I still love it there though and would love to go back. Someone told me the French Quarter is looking pretty empty.