Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Courtesy, Twitter and pound cake recipe

- Edging onto the expressway at the height of rush hour, a man lets me in. I thank him with a wave and he waves back.

- Enjoying Twitter and following the food people. This "tweet" made me laugh out loud from @ezraklein "How is @ruthreichl not several thousand pounds?" Ms. Reichl is editor-in-chief of Gourmet magazine and posts what she is eating all day long. I always imagine everyone posting about what they are eating and cooking must be doing it from the treadmill from a blackberry.

- The pound cake from a grandmother's recipe was a big hit at book group. The recipe is emailed (recipe follows) and someone questions the lack of baking powder in the recipe. The answer makes me smile, "You just have to trust me that no chemical reaction is needed to leaven the cake. The cake rises based on the expansion of tiny air bubbles that are created when the batter is properly made. Aeration is achieved by creaming the butter and sugar on medium high speed until it is very, very fluffy. This can take a number of minutes. (Husband) just checked on the best temp to cream butter and it is 65 degrees. The eggs also leaven the cake-think of a souffle. You should add the eggs one at a time until each is well incorporated, and I turn the speed down to low when adding the flour. Hope this helps."

Pound Cake

1 lb. softened salted butter - leave out overnight to bring to room temp.
8 eggs - must be at room temp
2 and 2/3 cup sugar
3 and ½ cups plain flour (White Lily recommended)
8 tbsp evaporated milk (small can)
2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 300 and grease/flour large tube pan. (Note: this recipe will not fit in a bundt pan.) Cream butter and sugar until very fluffy. Add eggs. Alternate adding flour and milk until each is well incorporated. Add vanilla. Bake 1 and ½ hours; let cool 10 minutes and invert onto plate.

4 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

I think I will try that poundcake recipe! Kelly loves to crack eggs, so 8 should make her day.

Lynn said...

I like to crack eggs, too! I've gotten pretty good at one handed egg cracking.

Let me know how it turns out. I was amused at the clarifying instructions because the gal's husband is a scientist and loves to cook. I'm sure he made the cake and wrote that clarification. It sounded like him.

Jannie Funster said...

Ah, nothing like a scientist in the kitchen!

Did I mention my 5th husband, Mel, was a biologist by day and an Italian chef by night?

;)

Lynn said...

You couldn't get more lucky than that! :)